starting strength gym

Thread: Asthma and Prednisone Part 2

Default Asthma and Prednisone Part 2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OP from August here:

Prednisone prescription

39 years old, severe asthmatic, and just reached the 1,000 pound club. My next goal is 500/400/300/200. I was excited to have hit that milestone, and this affliction keeps setting me back. The most recent asthma attack was my worst yet and put me in the ER last Sunday night. During my 2 to 3 week recovery last time, I lifted pretty light a couple times a week just to avoid being a complete motionless blob. These short workouts were absolutely brutal, and the frustration of having to climb out of the catabolic hole from the prednisone is half the battle. Any other SS adherents with similar problems care to share solutions, programming, or perspectives?

Are you on TRT?

What kind of maintenance meds are you on? Can you identify things that trigger these severe attacks? Is your asthma exercise induced?

Not directly related to SS program but my wife has had severe asthma. There are foods that trigger it and if she avoids those, she can mostly stay symptom free with no meds. Compared to when she eats those foods and it is very severe.

Pretty much any dairy, interestingly raw dairy doesn't affect her. Wheat seems to be another.

Generally if she eats real food and low carb, she is good. I know that goes against most of the advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you on TRT?
    No.

Get your levels checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    What kind of maintenance meds are you on? Can you identify things that trigger these severe attacks? Is your asthma exercise induced?
    Montelukast, Breztri Aerosphere (3 in 1 maintenance inhaler) and albuterol, are my normal prescriptions. When it hits the fan with these flare ups, it's prednisone and regular albuterol nebulizers. This time they also prescribed a "duo neb" solution for the nebulizer, which includes Ipratropium Bromide.

I have eosiniphilic asthma, which means that the root cause is in a white blood cell imbalance. In December, I began biologic treatments for this (monoclonal antibodies--Dupixent) which seems to show improvement in 80% of people after 3 to 6 months. Waiting for it to kick in, and I'm hopeful about the treatment because I'd rather have antibody injections than regular drugs, steroids, etc.

Typically it's a virus or cold that sends me into red territory. It's not exercise induced, but when I'm in this state, it sure makes workouts brutal.

I understand the case for TRT, but what does it have to do with asthma?

starting strength coach development program
    It's not specific to asthma, but rather to your general health and recovery.