starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain during wide-grip eccentric descent of overhead weight

Default Shoulder pain during wide-grip eccentric descent of overhead weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My right shoulder joint hurts while bringing down overhead weight in a controlled manner with a wide grip like while doing reps of muscle snatches. It only triggers with the wide snatch grip, not with the narrower overhead press grip or even a jerk grip, and only during descent, especially when the bar passes the chest and the elbow starts re-extending. The pain is hard to pinpoint but feels more towards the front and top of the shoulder joint.

Any tips on potential causes and fixes? Thanks.

No idea. An MRI may be advisable, since it would be good to know what to avoid doing to prevent an actual surgical injury from occurring. How long has it been doing this?

I started noticing it a couple weeks back since I started doing low weight or barbell-only snatch exercises but I’ve had this eccentric descent pain trigger for many months now (with no memory of an acute injury), and last summer or so, I could trigger it simply by bringing down a sideways extended empty arm slowly, but now it takes some weight to trigger it.

The pain is lessened if I descend weight with my elbows inward as opposed to keeping them flared out, which makes me think I likely injured it while benching with elbow flare in the past.

Give some thought to doing your presses correctly, with a narrow grip. There is a reason we coach it that way.