starting strength gym

Thread: Restricted elbow range of motion

Default Restricted elbow range of motion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, hoping someone may have a similar experience to the below.

I had a sharp pain in my elbow last week mid set during the negative of a bench press (bar was an inch or so away from my chest).

I dropped the bar on the safeties as I couldn’t control the bar on the way down due to sharp pain.

No audible pop or tearing sensation. Pain stopped once the bar hit the safeties. Elbow could flex and extend relatively pain free straight after the incident. No bruising on the tricep/bicep and no deformity.

Being a moron I re loaded the bar and tried again with the same result.

Called it a day on the bench and did a few chins afterwards. Elbow was tender that evening but noting dramatic.

Next morning there was a general swelling around the joint and very limited flexion and extension. Flexion limited due to pain, extension painful but actually feels like a hard block.

Supination and pronation are fine.

Resisted flexion and extension are fine as long as done with the elbow in mid range.

It doesn’t look like typical olecranon bursitis as there is no golf ball like swelling at the back of the joint.

7 days post injury the range of motion is improving. End range flexion is painful and missing last 10 degrees or so. Extension is most concerning given it is still a good 15 to 20 degrees out and it does feel like I am hitting a firm end feel.

Not as concerned as I was last week given symptoms are improving.

However I have no idea what the actual diagnosis is.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Ross

This is what x-rays/MRIs/doctors are for.

Was close to stumping up for an MRI but thankfully seems to be resolving itself.

Still a slight block on extension and pain towards end range flexion but nothing major and is improving weekly.

No idea what got damaged or why but seems to be irrelevant at this point.