starting strength gym

Thread: Issues when training with straight C-Spine (no lordosis)

Default Issues when training with straight C-Spine (no lordosis)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I am 37 YO male, been lifting for years then stopped, and wanted to restart Starting Strength recently.

Those last weeks I noticed that the day after training I would feel lightheaded with a slight headache, nausea and some vertigo. This especially appears after bench pressing. One day the headache became so uncomfortable that I was completely unable to do anything. Ibuprofen provided nearly 0 relief, so I decided to go to the doc who prescribed me MRI. He also noticed that my shoulders are unbalanced with one being 3/4 inch higher than the other.

Results and interpretation of the MRI came today : I have no lordosis in my C-Spine, vertebrae seems however intact otherwise.

Doc asked me to stop any training and do yoga (no way) and see a chiropractor, which I will probably do.

Now, asking the docs here and coaches: did you train someone with those issues ? Can training/chiro help rebuild a lordosis ? How should I train ?

For some reason, squat does not seem to create the most issues, but bench and deadlift are definitely, as I do them today, nearly a 100% chance to get those headaches/vertigo.

Thanks

Cervical lordosis is the curve in your neck. Lumbar and cervical lordosis are a "concave" curve, while thoracic kyphosis is a "convex" curve. When they did the MRI, you were laying on your back with a pillow under your head. This affects the position of your cervical spine. Too much pillow = no lordosis. Not enough pillow = hyperlordosis. Right? See? Duh? Yet they call this a diagnosis. An old-fashioned plain-film x-ray while standing up straight might be diagnostic, but not if they adjust your neck position first. And he wants you to stop training and do yoga.

Doctors. And they still get paid.