starting strength gym

Thread: Golfer's Elbow and the Pin-Firing protocol and level of pain throughout

Default Golfer's Elbow and the Pin-Firing protocol and level of pain throughout

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Mr Rip/Mr Morris

I realise there are quite a few posts about this already, and I've read them all but haven't come accross this particular point

I noticed the infamous pain on both medial epicondiles (worse on right) about 10 weeks ago.

I switched to the high bar squat position for a couple of weeks, where my shoulders/lats allow a proper grip, and the left elbow pain just faded away, the right got a bit better but still remained.

I am taking steps to improve my mobility so I can squat properly, and the elbow got so annoying (all the usual advice not working) I decided to attempt the Pin Firing protocol.

I'm 32 years old
    100kg
    Can do 12 chins on a good day.

Pain level before starting: 6/10
    I take 1.5 minutes rest between sets

Monday: 20 sets (10x3 & 10x4) 70 reps total
    Pain level about 8/10 for next 4 days

Friday Second: (20x 4) 80 reps total
    Pain 8/10

Tuesday: (20x4) 80 reps total
    Pain - still 8/10. On the 4th day it went down to maybe a 6, which encouraged me to continue, albeit with an extra day off;

Sunday: 25 sets 90 reps total
    Pain level 8/10

Down to 6/10 again today (Saturday) left it an extra day as was away

My question is whether I should contiue, or is it clearly not working for me. By my reckoning the pain should be reducing quicker as Rip says it's usually gone by the 5th workout.

Thanks for reading this (long) post, any advice much appreciated!

Ed

Why did you start with 20 sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why did you start with 20 sets?
    My thinking was to keep the total volume high but the number of reps low. In all three videos on youtube I found (one being the podcast with Mike Matthews) you mention 20 sets as the number to go for. And increasing total volume each session.

Should I have started with fewer do you think? And if so, what would you recommend I do now? Should I reduce it or start over with, say, 15 sets of 3 and work up from there? Really appreciate your advice, thanks.

First, your pain level is not 8/10. 10 tends to produce convulsions and unconsciousness, and shit like this is why both the Numerical Rating Scale and RPE are useless. You're already into the process, even though you started with an overdose, so just keep going and see what happens.

Fair enough - agreed; not in convulsing territory quite yet. I suppose I was trying to illustrate the fact that the pain was still the same at workout 4 as it was after workout 1.

The pain today does seem to be better so
    I will carry on slowly upping the total reps and report back in a few weeks.