starting strength gym

Thread: Adjusting lifts after Bristow-Latarjet shoulder operation?

Default Adjusting lifts after Bristow-Latarjet shoulder operation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

So I have undergone Bristow-Latarjet shoulder operation (to prevent shoulder instability - have fucked up my shoulder during the last 10 years due to occasional epileptic seizures) in my left shoulder and have now completed the rehab process with physical therapists. The consequence of operation is that for my left shoulder I now have significantly less shoulder mobility that I had before. My therapists say that I have regained as much mobility as I will ever be able to get in my left shoulder.

I cannot really rotate my left arm as much as I used to. It makes back squat impossible for me + my press also looks a bit asymmetrical, even though I can still do it.

How would you adjust the Starting Strength protocol, so I can rebuild my strength?

- Do you think replacing back squat with cross grip front squat makes sense? (cannot do the usual front squat)
    - Would you still press even if it is a bit asymmetrical? (my physical therapist thinks it is not a good idea, but I am not sure whether she knows what she is talking about)
    - Do you think replacing power clean with barbell rows makes sense?
    - I don't think I have any problems with bench press and deadlifts.

I would appreciate any relevant advice. Thanks.

Height/bodyweight/lifts?

Height: 192 cm (6'3 - 6′4)
    Weight: 125 kg (276 lbs)

No real lifts, since I had a few months of the beginner program before I got injured and had to get the operation. I was starting from an empty bar and had built up to:
    - squat 70 kg (154 lbs)
    - deadlift 92.5 kg (204 lbs)
    - bench 75 kg (165 lbs)

So, to summarize, you've never done the program, you can't do the program, but you want somebody to tell you how to do the program. Somebody, take a shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by wanttobestrong View Post
    Hi everyone,

So I have undergone Bristow-Latarjet shoulder operation (to prevent shoulder instability - have fucked up my shoulder during the last 10 years due to occasional epileptic seizures) in my left shoulder and have now completed the rehab process with physical therapists. The consequence of operation is that for my left shoulder I now have significantly less shoulder mobility that I had before. My therapists say that I have regained as much mobility as I will ever be able to get in my left shoulder.

I cannot really rotate my left arm as much as I used to. It makes back squat impossible for me + my press also looks a bit asymmetrical, even though I can still do it.

How would you adjust the Starting Strength protocol, so I can rebuild my strength?

- Do you think replacing back squat with cross grip front squat makes sense? (cannot do the usual front squat)
    - Would you still press even if it is a bit asymmetrical? (my physical therapist thinks it is not a good idea, but I am not sure whether she knows what she is talking about)
    - Do you think replacing power clean with barbell rows makes sense?
    - I don't think I have any problems with bench press and deadlifts.

I would appreciate any relevant advice. Thanks.
    Try the kabuki transformer bar for squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    Try the kabuki transformer bar for squats.
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Don't have support bars in my gym, but will try to arrange for this.

What about the other lifts? Is barbell row a good idea? Is press with the normal bar a good idea?

Many people with shoulder injuries learn to squat by adjusting their grip, experimenting, and finding something that works for them. Pressing is the best exercise for strengthening the shoulders, which you need to do. Barbell rows are not a substitute for cleans, but you would not be the first. Stop worrying and start lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wanttobestrong View Post
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Don't have support bars in my gym, but will try to arrange for this.

What about the other lifts? Is barbell row a good idea? Is press with the normal bar a good idea?
    Pick a new gym or build one at home. Don't wait for a gym to do you a favor.

I agree with heinz, and you should strongly consider an SS coach. I've had only excellent experiences with them. My 2 cents are that I wouldn't worry about cleans or rows until you've progressed sufficiently on the deadlift. You don't know what your body is capable of doing yet.