starting strength gym

Thread: Hip pincer impingement surgery

Default Hip pincer impingement surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, all! Has anyone here had a pincer type hip impingement that they have had surgery for? I have a fairly severe impingement in my right leg, and to a lesser degree on my left leg. It prevents me from bending at the waist further than 45degrees without arching my low back, causing low back and hip pain. It has completely killed my desire to lift weights as I have never been able to squat or deadlift 2 plates without throwing my back out, and there doesn’t seem to be any leg exercises I can tolerate very well. I’ve posted about this several years ago, but it seems like there have been advances in surgery for this type of procedure and I will be consulting a surgeon next month about it.

I would like to know if anyone has gone though a pincer hip impingement surgery. Were you able to fully reconvert and squat and bench heavy with correct form? Or is that just not an option?

Yes, thousands upon thousands of people have gone through this surgery. Many of them had complete recoveries. The bony impingement that caused your inability to squat or deadlift correctly will presumably be gone after the surgery. Why would squatting or deadlifting effectively not be an option?

A little more info on this. I saw an orthopedic surgeon in Seattle that specializes in robotic assisted hip and knee surgeries. He was optimistic about being able to help me. From the x-ray he suspected that I will need both of my hips fully replaced. I will be getting an MRI on July 5th to confirm. He also confirmed lifting heavy will not be out of the question post surgery, I am pretty excited about that. If anyone has any stories about getting back into lifting heavy after a single or double hip replacement I would love to hear them, as well as the physical therapy and recovery you did before and after surgery. I don’t think I could ever compete, but I will be a lot better off than I am now.

Diagnostically, he confirmed a hip impingement on my right hip, but I had the type wrong, it is a cam impingement, not pincer. Moreover, my femoral head is not aligned correctly with my femur which is causing my leg to be rotated inward. This gives me only 5 degrees of external rotation rather than the normal 35-40 degrees.

My left hip has signs if Avascular Necrosis, meaning the bone in my femoral head is not getting enough blood causing the bone tissue to die off, leaving the shape deformed. MRI will show how much cartilage I have lost and allow him to give a more accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

These hip issues have been going on my entire life, so I suspect a lot of my rehab will be building up atrophied postural muscles that have never really engaged normally.