starting strength gym

Thread: Hysterectomy

Default Hysterectomy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi. I've seen a couple threads mentioning hysterectomy but usually men asking about their wives/moms. I wanted to ask directly for my specific situation.

I've been training at SS Plano for 10 weeks. I'm 43 and in good overall health, but I've had a helluva time with endometriosis and adenomyosis and I'm ready for them to yank this thing. I'm hoping to have the procedure in July. It will be laparoscopic or vaginal, not abdominal, so minimally invasive.

I handle pain well, I've had 5 or 6 surgeries on my uterus and ovaries, including C-section. I only take the strong pain meds for a few days as a general rule. I always have severe nausea and vomiting as a reaction to general, which can weaken me more than I'd like; otherwise I tend to recover quickly.

My training is very important to me and I'm eager to get back in the gym as soon as possible after the procedure. Realistically, how soon can I do this, and how much can I expect to deload? I know these will be estimates.

Thank you.

Outside of the hysterectomy, are they planning on any other procedures, or is it solely the vaginal hysterectomy?

Just saw doc this morning to schedule the procedure for early July. It will be a laparoscopic robotic full hysterectomy, taking uterus and cervix but leaving ovaries. They'll also be lasering off some endometriosis throughout my pelvic cavity including most likely on my bladder, based on history and symptoms.

My last lap laser surgery for endo was several years ago, and required 2 procedures totaling 9 hours because it was quite severe. My doctor said he anticipates there to be "quite a bit" of endo grown back, and that it will likely take "at least a couple hours."

Sounds like a couple of weeks. Will?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like a couple of weeks. Will?
    2 weeks, absolutely. Regular activities of daily living for the next two weeks. At four weeks, you would probably be quite safe to start lifting (squat and deadlift). I'd probably recommend 50% of typical working weights for shorter sets on week 4, 70-75% for the 5th week, 80-85% week 6, then start back to normal programming at a 10% reduction starting week 7 and it should be smooth sailing from there.

As aggressive as I like to be with getting back to activity, the risk of an intra-abdominal / intra-pelvic bleed is too much for me to try and push the envelope here.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for your response. I'll send this to my coach. He doesn't have any experience with this yet and said he'd talk to some other coaches.

I'm a bit bummed at the idea of being down for so long, but that's life.