starting strength gym

Thread: Knee Pain Power Clean

Default Knee Pain Power Clean

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am dealing with some abnormal Right knee pain during power clean. Some background. 52 and some mileage/abuse with my joints. I manage my right knee pain well with NSAIDS and knee sleeves. Squatting and the dead lift are no issue. I have some discomfort but I do well with dealing with the discomfort. Power cleans have been introduced now that I am intermediate. Why does my right knee "get really pissed off at me" when doing PC vs the squat? I am training with a SSC and wanted to get your take on this.

Where is the pain? Be specific.

knee2.jpg

Attaching a pic and hopefully it uploads. The black marks are the point of pain (medial and lateral of the patella, the area of those little pockets if that makes sense). By the end of a M-W-F cycle my right knee has discomfort from squats but with the addition of the PC, my R-knee has become inflamed/aggravated. After two days rest with NSAID and Diclofenac the knee is fine and ready to train Monday. Is it possible that when I squat, I have the ability to "set my knees" in order to facilitate "knees out" compared to the PC movement? I had this same "flare up, aggravated knee" when doing PC with that organization with two syllables.

Post a squat video.

Quote Originally Posted by david strecker View Post
    knee2.jpg

Attaching a pic and hopefully it uploads. The black marks are the point of pain (medial and lateral of the patella, the area of those little pockets if that makes sense). By the end of a M-W-F cycle my right knee has discomfort from squats but with the addition of the PC, my R-knee has become inflamed/aggravated. After two days rest with NSAID and Diclofenac the knee is fine and ready to train Monday. Is it possible that when I squat, I have the ability to "set my knees" in order to facilitate "knees out" compared to the PC movement? I had this same "flare up, aggravated knee" when doing PC with that organization with two syllables.
    Without any additional evidence or clinical information, this seems to be a fairly clear case of patellofemoral pain syndrome / anterior knee pain syndrome, and you are probably catching the clean with your knees dropping forward instead of pushing your hips back. You could also have a poor technique with your squat, and you could also be doing extra stuff out of the gym that is causing it.

240x5 medium day - YouTube
    240 x 5 x1 medium day for squat.
    After a couple of videos of my lifts and discussion with coach a couple things to address that are noteworthy......during my progression I have had issues with "knee slide". Short of coach beating me with a stick I am aware of this "subtle knee slide". As the weight has increased and/or fatigue sets over the course of set 1 vs set 3, this subtle knee slide has aggravated my right knee.

Doesn't look like a problem on this set. But inflamed knees take a while to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by david strecker View Post
    240x5 medium day - YouTube
    240 x 5 x1 medium day for squat.
    After a couple of videos of my lifts and discussion with coach a couple things to address that are noteworthy......during my progression I have had issues with "knee slide". Short of coach beating me with a stick I am aware of this "subtle knee slide". As the weight has increased and/or fatigue sets over the course of set 1 vs set 3, this subtle knee slide has aggravated my right knee.
    Are you able to reliably squat without knee slide now? If you are, do you now struggle with hitting depth? Do you also have issues with reverting to a more vertical back angle?

starting strength coach development program
    Will.....the answer is no. The biggest contributor to this knee pain has been from PC not the squat. Subtle/slight knee slide was not the cause of the pain. I have ongoing discomfort in my right knee due to "mileage" and wear and tear at 51, plus I twisted my knee about 6 months ago "doing stupid shit"....and that single incident did me no favors. Came to the conclusion that training the PC is not really in my bag of tricks for life.