starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting advice for 32 year old with psoriatic arthritis...

Default Lifting advice for 32 year old with psoriatic arthritis...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So as the title suggests I am a 32 year old male that has been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, currently I am running an upper lower split over 3 days instead of four, as in Upper Monday, Lower Wednesday, Upper Friday...with the week after being the opposite, Lower Monday, Upper Wednesady and so on....recovery wise I have found this to be sustainable.

Upper days I do floor press, barbell rows and some tricep and bicep work, lower days are safety bar box squats, good mornings and leg curls.

I have chosen these exercises to work around my arthritis, a big problem for me is my shoulder so that's why no bench or Press, same reason for using the safety bar, my shoulder just can't take a straight bar, not even high bar...the goodmornings were added because I thought a hip hinge was needed and they involve no grip, my fingers are also a problem area so that's why deadlifts are out.

I have been using 3x5 on the main lifts and I'm wondering after watching one of the old starting strength videos on arthritis that this may be too much volume in my case, in the video it was suggested that 2x3 maybe more appropriate for someome with my condition, would it be worth doing this?

I've been doing this routine for about 3 months now consistently and I have to say I do feel better overall, but as the weights are starting to go up I am feeling a bit more tired and beat up, not anything id consider unmanageable but I have noticed it.

Doing this routine I've gotten my squat from 40kg to 65kg, my floor press went from 30kg to 55kg my row from 40kg to 55kg and my goodmornings went from 35kg to 45kg, all these are for 3x5...I will add I'm starting to feel things now, as in the weights are getting heavy, these numbers are pretty much me pushing it 100%

I don't think this is particularly good progress but with my limitations it's the best I could do, really I'm looking for any advice on my routine, exercise selection, where I can improve and if my rep range is suitable with the arthritis.

Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson1990 View Post
    So as the title suggests I am a 32 year old male that has been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, currently I am running an upper lower split over 3 days instead of four, as in Upper Monday, Lower Wednesday, Upper Friday...with the week after being the opposite, Lower Monday, Upper Wednesady and so on....recovery wise I have found this to be sustainable.

Upper days I do floor press, barbell rows and some tricep and bicep work, lower days are safety bar box squats, good mornings and leg curls.

I have chosen these exercises to work around my arthritis, a big problem for me is my shoulder so that's why no bench or Press, same reason for using the safety bar, my shoulder just can't take a straight bar, not even high bar...the goodmornings were added because I thought a hip hinge was needed and they involve no grip, my fingers are also a problem area so that's why deadlifts are out.

I have been using 3x5 on the main lifts and I'm wondering after watching one of the old starting strength videos on arthritis that this may be too much volume in my case, in the video it was suggested that 2x3 maybe more appropriate for someome with my condition, would it be worth doing this?

I've been doing this routine for about 3 months now consistently and I have to say I do feel better overall, but as the weights are starting to go up I am feeling a bit more tired and beat up, not anything id consider unmanageable but I have noticed it.

Doing this routine I've gotten my squat from 40kg to 65kg, my floor press went from 30kg to 55kg my row from 40kg to 55kg and my goodmornings went from 35kg to 45kg, all these are for 3x5...I will add I'm starting to feel things now, as in the weights are getting heavy, these numbers are pretty much me pushing it 100%

I don't think this is particularly good progress but with my limitations it's the best I could do, really I'm looking for any advice on my routine, exercise selection, where I can improve and if my rep range is suitable with the arthritis.

Thanks for reading.
    Are you currently on a DMARD?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Are you currently on a DMARD?
    Yes, I'm on humira but it's being changed because I'm still having joint issues.