starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lying Triceps Extension with Shoulder Issues

Default Lying Triceps Extension with Shoulder Issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am rehabbing a shoulder with an impingement/bursitis type of issue, and would like to keep another pressing movement during the process other than the overhead press, if possible. I have eliminated the bench press for the time being. Would the lying triceps extension be reasonably safe?

That's not a pressing movement.

Quote Originally Posted by carmabl View Post
    I am rehabbing a shoulder with an impingement/bursitis type of issue, and would like to keep another pressing movement during the process other than the overhead press, if possible. I have eliminated the bench press for the time being. Would the lying triceps extension be reasonably safe?
    My apologies, a "pushing" movement.

It's not a pushing movement either, ie. elbow extension with shoulder flexion/adduction. But it's fine with me if you want to do them.

Why did you eliminate the bench press from your program?

I am doing some relatively high volume work with the press for a couple of weeks, and then I am going to resume with the bench press again.

I am doing some relatively high volume work with the press for a couple of weeks, and then I am going to resume with the bench press again.
    Why?

I had originally hurt the shoulder doing bench presses with poor form. I have improved my form, but the (minor but recurring) pain has never completely gone away. Close grip bench press and dips seemed to make it worse. So I decided to exclude the bench press and variations for some period of time while I focus on pressing and chin's in the hopes that it would perhaps go away.

No, why the "high volume"?

starting strength coach development program
    I had originally hurt the shoulder doing bench presses with poor form. I have improved my form, but the (minor but recurring) pain has never completely gone away. Close grip bench press and dips seemed to make it worse. So I decided to exclude the bench press and variations for some period of time while I focus on pressing and chin's in the hopes that it would perhaps go away.
    This question is not meant to be pedantic, but who has correctly assessed your technique on the bench press, especially after a shoulder injury? Are there any modifications you can make to the bench press movement to prevent it from causing the minor pain? Tossing out an essential lift altogether due to minor discomfort / minor pain is maybe not the most effective strategy, although it is very common.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast