starting strength gym

Thread: How to get stronger, avoid a trip to 'The medical system' and not be a pussy

Default How to get stronger, avoid a trip to 'The medical system' and not be a pussy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've been training for a few years now, two productive LP's, near the end of the novice phase the weight starts to 'Feel heavy' squats in particular I often get an irksome feeling that raises thoughts of hernias and how to avoid them, I'm not a competitive lifter and while I want to go up in the weights I do this for strength and overall health and would rather not get involved with the medical system, my questions are should i use a belt during training? does avoiding 1RM's lower risk of injury? has anyone ever got hernia from squatting? does 'Abb' work help strengthen the core and hold that shit in?
    what advice would you have for someone who has completed the LP's, wants to continue training long term but avoid injures.

Thanks,
    Sean..

Ps. i'm 5'7'' 70kg, my 5RM in kilos: deadlift 165, squat 160, bench 95, ohp 70,

So many problems here, and I'm short on time this morning. You have some reading to do.

Just the immediate answers, that have been covered many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanE View Post
    my questions are should i use a belt during training?
    Yes.
    does avoiding 1RM's lower risk of injury?
    Probably. Any form issues at near max weights will have a level of risk. Anything where form degrades increases risk of injury, so doing too high reps is more risky too.
    has anyone ever got hernia from squatting?
    Probably. But a better question is whether increasing your squat and deadlift with correct form and equipment decreases your overall risk of hernia/other injury.
    does 'Abb' work help strengthen the core and hold that shit in?
    The best abb work is using the abs for stability, like you do for squats/deadlifts/presses.
    what advice would you have for someone who has completed the LP's, wants to continue training long term but avoid injures.
    Read practical programming, and make sure you lift with good technique (maybe SS coaching/training camp/online form check)

Ps. i'm 5'7'' 70kg, my 5RM in kilos: deadlift 165, squat 160, bench 95, ohp 70,
    At 70kg you probably have not really finished a full LP. You would be stronger, and therefore at less risk of injury, if you gained some weight.

The book itself tells you to start using a belt early to gain familiarity. There's nothing wrong with using a belt. Proper form prevents injury. Read the book.

Inguinal hernias are due to a defect in your inguinal canal. You will eventually get one one way or another if you are born that way, my surgeon told me this before operating on mine.