starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carpal tunnel syndrome

Default Carpal tunnel syndrome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello > I have been diagnosed with carpal Tunnel in my left hand. (Moderate)I had an NCV and EMG test to determine this. I wear a brace at night because my 3 fingers were waking me up at night absolutely frozen. My doctor said I will need surgery. I am 66 and 2 months young and in very good shape. I have been weightlifting as a hobby for decades. I absolutely love weightlifting. I usually do DB lifting with bicep work from 15- 30 pounds on the DB. I also do Chest exercises with DB ranging from 25-50 pounds. I can exercise for hours- I really do love it- But what I am asking is can I still do these exercises knowing my condition with my hands? I do not want to irritate the condition if possible. I just had a cortisone shot and for now, I feel fine- BUT it is only a bandaid- So what I am asking is- do you know of anyone in the exercise industry who has had carpal tunnel syndrome and what they have done for it? I am also going to PT now and am doing all sorts of massages and exercises to help my condition- but I am told that even PT is only a bandaid- and I will need surgery. Is this true- or can my PT and diligent hand therapy help me avoid surgery? Thank you for listening.
    P.S.--- Will lifting weights like mentioned above speed up my injury process-- I am very fearful of that. So I have now started to treadmill 3 miles daily and do resistance band exercises and push-ups on my knuckles. But there is nothing like weights- please advise - if you know the answer or know of anyone who has carpal tunnel like I do. Thank you all.

Your first post in March was about this. You are not doing our program, and your silly dumbbell exercises may be exacerbating the situation. I suggest you get the book and do the actual program, and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your first post in March was about this. You are not doing our program, and your silly dumbbell exercises my be exacerbating the situation. I suggest you get the book and do the actual program, and see what happens.
    sorry Boss, I'm gonna need a better answer,
    I too have both wrists with one shot of Cort each back in March, and the numbness is starting to return to both,
    surgery was recommended as a follow up if and when,
    I do follow a start and stop, due to circumstances, NLP as is written in the book(s).
    So,
    do folks that have had the wrist release procedure carry on with lifting after the procedure(s) ?

I truly am sorry- I must have missed your previous reply- and when you say I am not doing the program - can you enlighten me on what program(book) that is- I will definitely give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    sorry Boss, I'm gonna need a better answer,
    I was not answering your question, was I?

Quote Originally Posted by montek View Post
    I truly am sorry- I must have missed your previous reply- and when you say I am not doing the program - can you enlighten me on what program(book) that is- I will definitely give it a try.
    You have to be joking.

Default carpal tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your first post in March was about this. You are not doing our program, and your silly dumbbell exercises may be exacerbating the situation. I suggest you get the book and do the actual program, and see what happens.

hello again- as you know carpal tunnel is NOT a happy situation and since we last spoke- I had a reprieve and a cortisone shot so I was OK- but now that it has returned and yes I did have a cortisone shot again 6 months later- I really and truly need your advice. I do not take this lightly. And as for my silly DB exercises- to me, they are not silly. They have kept me strong and healthy in my mid 60's. I may not lift the heaviest of weights BUT I can work out with the best of them in my way and show them what a senior citizen is truly capable of. As mentioned I am seeing a PT and I am doing my own exercises very diligently at home. I am determined to never go for surgery if that is possible. So when I ask for your help- it is for good reason and I thought you would reply with a more helpful response. So when you mention to do the actual program I hope you can let me know exactly what that is so that I can do it.
    I have started to use something called the BodyBlade with my other exercises to stay fit and healthy along with a treadmill and jumping jacks. My blood pressure is now 118 over 60 at 66 years and 3 months and I am on NO meds at all. Like I said I am very diligent.
    Lastly- I read an article about injections for carpal tunnel and someone wrote about something called Prolotherapy- with a 5% Dextrose solution- that is supposed to be safer and as effective or not more effective than cortisone shots. Have you heard of such a thing and if so what do you think?
    I know that you are an expert in your field and that is why I am asking you these questions. You are like the teacher and I truly hope that you can advise me and guide me or lead me to a member who might know how to help. I would appreciate that very much. Thank you

please read my last reply to you- ad No I am not joking. Why the bad attitude? I am all over the internet trying to get answers and I am seeing a PT for this- why would you think I am joking? Please take me seriously.

Default replying to your reply?

not sure if you saw my last reply asking again for a better answer. Why the attitude not necessary? I have been all over the internet looking for answers. Why on earth would you think I am joking? Please take me seriouslyPRRF0428[1].jpg. If you see the picture of me back in 2015 you can see that my life has not been so easy. I have had it tough and worked my way back to a damn pretty good health and shape. And the ONLY reason I am here today is that as the doctor who saved my life stated- the only reason I made it through my operation for Abdominal Compartment Syndrome(read about that why don't you) was because I was in such good shape then. So again my SILLY exercises with DB's have made me who I am today. So I hope you can gather some empathy for me and try to help me here with my CTS.

For what itís worth, my carpal tunnel flares up when I eat gluten. I know I sound like a California asshole, but that shit flares up some past injuries and always makes my carpal tunnel come back. I cut it out for a month or two and realize my ct went away every time. That might not be the cause of yours though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast