starting strength gym

Thread: Pain along Lateral Tricep

Default Pain along Lateral Tricep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

After a big press/dip workout, I am getting pain along the outer part of the upper arm (both sides). Pain has lasted 5 days so far. 3 day course of ibuprofen only helped a little bit.

Pain is centered on the lateral part of the tricep, about halfway down the humerus. It hurts most in deep elbow flexion. There is no pain from pronation or supination of the forearm.

I've had all 3 of tennis elbow, golfers elbow, and triceps tendon pain before, and this doesn't feel exactly like any of those 3. The pain isn't down along the bony parts of the elbow, but a bit higher up the arm. No pain along the lateral/medial epicondyles nor right above the olecranon. Not sure if there is a more proximal part of the tricep tendon that attaches there? ...Any idea which structure could be pissed off / how to heal and train through it? Thanks

Since we can't do a physical exam over the internet, you'll have to get somebody to do it there. Try to find a competent therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Hello,

After a big press/dip workout, I am getting pain along the outer part of the upper arm (both sides). Pain has lasted 5 days so far. 3 day course of ibuprofen only helped a little bit.

Pain is centered on the lateral part of the tricep, about halfway down the humerus. It hurts most in deep elbow flexion. There is no pain from pronation or supination of the forearm.

I've had all 3 of tennis elbow, golfers elbow, and triceps tendon pain before, and this doesn't feel exactly like any of those 3. The pain isn't down along the bony parts of the elbow, but a bit higher up the arm. No pain along the lateral/medial epicondyles nor right above the olecranon. Not sure if there is a more proximal part of the tricep tendon that attaches there? ...Any idea which structure could be pissed off / how to heal and train through it? Thanks
    The distal to middle lateral humerus is a known pain referral pattern of the supraspinatus. You were probably flaring the shit out of your elbows on the dips and / or press, but as Rip said, none of us can do a competent physical exam over internet text. I've known tendon pain to not respond very well to ibuprofen and tends to respond much more favorably to tylenol.