starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme soreness at the top of the glutes

Default Extreme soreness at the top of the glutes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum. I looked at the rules, used search function and only after I decided to open a new thread about my issue.

After deadlifting 160 kg ( sorry for metrics, I am an European ) ( and my back was a little bit rounded on the last two reps ) beltless, top portion of my glutes, just below my erectors and some muscle that is not under directly my skin became quite sore and I can confidently say that it was not a sweet one. It was okay after 3 days and we did not deload the squat, with the SS coach I work with. At my first work set which was 117.5 kg I felt some pain at the second rep on the same area but I could finish the rest of the session without a problem. But standing up after resting between sets was quite painful. I deadlifted 132.5 kg without a problem. Then two days later we decreased the squat 105 kg and my glutes were painfree. When I deadlifted 140 kg on the same workout it quite hurt my glutes. I am pretty sure that my back was in extension. After this workout the soreness at the top of my glutes became horrible. The next day I could not even put my socks on without sweating and bend over to tie my shoes.

Now a week later, after deloading the squat 60 kg and doing RDL instead of deadlift ( starting weight was 60 kg ) I am painfree both in daily life and when lifting but I still feel just a little bit of soreness.

My question is that is it only about being a little bit rounded ? If so, why were my glutes painful instead of my erectors ? Lastly, I used to have the same soreness only after doing t n go deadlifts ( I never recorded a set but as far as I was feeling in those daya my back was as only rounded as the on then deadlift session caused the soreness last week ) and I stopped doing it after starting to work an SS coach BUT having this soreness when doing a deadstop deadlift made me think something scared me a lot: Am I going to have this pain whenever I try to push my limits, when my back becomes inevitably rounded ?

Eventhough I have a coach, I wanted to see a broader point of view.

Video?

The soreness started right after the set and peaked the next day. Then it got better gradually.

https://truecoachcdn.com/372686d8-09...MOV/output.mp4

Nothing glaringly wrong with the reps. Why are you not wearing a belt?

I used to deadlift the same weight without a belt like a piece of cake and I just wanted to keep the belt for the reps that can challenge me more than these. Is this stupid ? Cause I really would like to know what caused this pain ?

When you get hurt, you start wearing the belt to keep from getting hurt again.

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Thank you sir for sharing your time with me, but I had already red this article on May 2022 and have a Starting Strength 3 inch deadlift belt since then. Also I do not have good memories with the owners of Dominion Strength. Although I gave them my waist size, told them how much I weigh and how much weight I want to lose they made me chose larger size belt even for my current bodyweight. When I told them the issue they advised me to create a new hole, but when I replied them that this is not my fault and I do not want to use belt that a part of it hangs like the tongue of iguana they never answered my mails and even blocked me on instagram.

Anyway back to my original question: Eventhough I red the article before, I have red it again now but could not find an answer. I do not have pain on my back, the issue is with my glutes and you already told that there is not a big problem with my technique. So, why did I get hurt in the first place?

Everybody else has no trouble with Dominion Strength, and it's not their responsibility to tell you what size belt to buy. You're supposed to order the belt, they're supposed to fill the order. And in the absence of a wreck, it's seldom possible to say what caused an injury. I hurt my right quad during the squat the other night, for no apparent reason. Now, that you're hurt, you can either train through it, or lay off.

I'm my own experience, I've found that where I get sore, and how that soreness manifests has changed over time. Recently, I consistently got a kind of discomfort in my glutes/hamstrings all the time from squats and deadlifts. When it started, I tried treating it as a hamstring tendinopathy, and aggravating by adding a bunch of RDLs. That kind of helped. Then I started to think maybe it was referred pain from something with hip flexors. Adding in working the hip flexors by raising weights with my feet kind of helped. Ultimately, though, what worked best was... training through it.

Was it form? Was it injury? I don't know. Maybe it's just that a particular part of the kinetic chain needed to catch up in strength at that phase. What I do know is that patiently training through it got me past it, even as it's come and gone.

This is not to say you do or do not have something that needs to be addressed., nor is it at all to suggest RDLs or weighed standing knee raises My point is rather that consistently training can change your relationship with pain.

starting strength coach development program
    Ofcourse I want to train trough it and while training, I want to avoid the things that possibly hurt me. That is why I tried to get an answer.

I do not want to make the discussion bigger, I really respect that you give your time to answer all of the questions here but even it is not their responsibility to tell me what size I should buy, I believe it is their responsibility to tell the correct size if they chose to tell and not to mislead me.

Thank you very much sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast