starting strength gym

Thread: Spinal Column pop during squat, now what?

Default Spinal Column pop during squat, now what?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 56, 200#, male. Been doing NLP since mid-October. Today was workout day 3 of week 6.

Did usual warmup (Bar x 2x5, 100x5, 140x3, 190x2 for 220# work sets). First two work sets went fine, heavy but fine. Rest of 6 to 7 minutes between work sets. On the third rep of the final work set, the center of my spinal column popped loud enough for my wife to hear it 20 feet away and down I went. Fortunately, I had safety bars in the cage so the weights didn't end up on me.

I laid on the floor for a minute but it didn't really hurt much. I was able to get up off the floor on my own and walk up the stairs. Took a cold shower and walked around a little while.

It's not sore, per se, but I can feel it some when I bend over. I feel confident I could do 190 right now but I won't know until I try.

I'd like some input on what to do tomorrow. Since this is the last workout day of the week, I'd normally be off until Wednesday. I'm planning to go back to it tomorrow and just squat up to 200 or so or until I can feel it in my spine. However, I don't want to hurt myself, obviously, and I'd like some input.

Thanks!

What did it feel like when you went down?

I was startled. I laid there for about 30 seconds waiting for the pain to start but it didnít. My lower back was sore and still is a bit but no shooting or localized pain. It felt weak at the spot but didnít hurt. Itís hard to explain really. It happened so fast. After making the initial post, I went and did 85 pounds for two without difficulty.

You know when you help someone move and your low back hurts the next day. Thatís how I feel now.

Let us know how the next workout goes.

Did 185x3x5 with a bit of discomfort. I'm going to go to 190 tomorrow.

Upon reflection, I think I exhaled some on my way down when my back popped. I really try to stay tight and focused with the squat but may have drifted for a bit. I now recognize I need to be more diligent about this as the weight on the bar begins to exceed my body weight.

Thanks, Rip!

starting strength coach development program
    Did 190 for 1, 155 for 3 and 135 for 2x5 today. I can still feel some weakness in the spot where it popped but it felt better today. Nothing I would describe as pain. Concentrated on my Valsalva. Thanks, again, Rip.