starting strength gym

Thread: Bicep tendonitis? after failed squat - can't sleep.

Default Bicep tendonitis? after failed squat - can't sleep.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I'm writing this post today because I am in excruciating pain. Pain that is so bad that it is a challenge to fall asleep.

To preface, about 3 weeks ago I developed tendonitis in both elbows from a poor grip in the squat. The pain was only at the gym and quickly subsided once I fixed the culprit after I reread the articles on the website and managed to fix this pain. That pain completely vanished weeks ago. The reason I am telling you guys this is to rule out the possibility of a bad grip in the squat.

The new pain started about 1-2 weeks ago after a failed rep in the squat. I was squatting around 335 and couldn't get the last rep. Instead of rolling it back on the pins, I pushed the bar forward over my head. This screwed up my left elbow (only my left). Immediately after, I knew something was wrong. Unlike the last form of tendonitis I had, it did not go away. I can't do basic functions in my day-to-day life with these elbow problems, and I can't even unrack my bench press.

Here's when it hurts: Doing chin-ups, doing bicep curls, doing tricep extensions (doesn't hurt as bad as bicep curls), picking up a 45lb plate, etc. I will mention that I am strictly following the program exactly as written, with no assistance exercises.

I am looking for guidance on how to rehab this injury. Do I do a bunch of chin-ups? Or curls? Or tricep extensions? Or pin-firing? I have no clue how to rehab this injury.

Thanks for the guidance,
    Brendan

Here are my numbers:
    Height: 5'10"
    BW: 205lbs
    Squat: 340x5
    Press: 150x5
    Bench: 170x5
    Deadlift: 375x5
    PC: 185x3

Been doing the program since August.

We don't know what the injury is, and neither do you. You will need an actual diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Korpiel View Post
    I can't do basic functions in my day-to-day life with these elbow problems
    Please.....everyone who frequents these boards.....with tears in my eyes, I plead with you to not spend time posting on a message board if your injury interferes with your ability to do basic functions in your day-to-day life. If your pain is that severe, there is nothing anyone on these boards will reliably be able to provide you with. This is absolutely an indication for a medical evaluation, assessment, and treatment.

Been there and done that. Get a mri with contrast, the structures in there are so close it could be one of the cuff tendons, labrum pain from the LHBT pulling, or just LHBT issues. If it doesn't heal u may need a tenodsis. Find a good surgeon.

A biceps tenodesis for elbow pain?

Oh I don't know why I saw shoulder instead of elbow. He is prob having a distal bicep issue if it anticubtial. Needs a mri to see damage obvously.

Or, maybe he first needs a competent physical exam and let the findings of the physical exam dictate whether he is likely surgical, or not.

starting strength coach development program
    For sure apart of the process.