starting strength gym

Thread: 43F Varicose veins and strength training.

Default 43F Varicose veins and strength training.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

My mom is now 43 y.o., and she decided she wants to get her spine to be healthy. She wanted to do a lot of "core exercises", or pilates, or whatever doctors recommend to do. When I told her about "core" engagement in squats and deadlifts, about strength importance, etc., she told me that it might be not the best idea, since she has varicose veins.

She had varicose veins for a lot of years, it's inherited of course. Veins aren't scary-popping, i.e. not Nick Walker kind of varicose. She says she doesn't remember the stage, but it's something in the middle, something like 5 varicoses out of 10.

Since her work engages a lot of standing on feet (pharmacist in drug store), her condition sure doesn't get better.
    I've read some threads on this topic, but most of them are old. Maybe there is some new information?

Can you train heavy with varicose veins?

Thank you.

Venous return is passive, and the veins are under no pressure under the bar. I see absolutely no reason for her to use this an an excuse to not train. But if she doesn't want to train, leave here alone.

Hi, Mark

Thank you. Mom wanted to start training anyway, but doctors in past told her not to do anything that incorporates moving heavy things. Ofc I won't press her to go to the gym if she will not want to.

Doctors are such wonderful additions to our society, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by jukh View Post
    Hi,

My mom is now 43 y.o., and she decided she wants to get her spine to be healthy. She wanted to do a lot of "core exercises", or pilates, or whatever doctors recommend to do. When I told her about "core" engagement in squats and deadlifts, about strength importance, etc., she told me that it might be not the best idea, since she has varicose veins.

She had varicose veins for a lot of years, it's inherited of course. Veins aren't scary-popping, i.e. not Nick Walker kind of varicose. She says she doesn't remember the stage, but it's something in the middle, something like 5 varicoses out of 10.

Since her work engages a lot of standing on feet (pharmacist in drug store), her condition sure doesn't get better.
    I've read some threads on this topic, but most of them are old. Maybe there is some new information?

Can you train heavy with varicose veins?

Thank you.
    This is an interesting question, and Iím sorry it took me so long to respond. Varicose veins, and even something like chronic venous insufficiency, is positively affected by progressive resistance training. About 90% of venous return in the lower extremities is caused by muscular contraction of the leg musculature. The lower extremity venous system utilizes a lot of valves, and muscular contraction is what drives the blood up the chain through the valve system. If the individual has cramping in the leg that is secondary to the venous insufficiency, wearing compression garments can help with that.

Prolonged positioning without the use of active muscular contractions is not so good.