starting strength gym

Thread: Right Shoulder Pain While Pressing

Default Right Shoulder Pain While Pressing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,

I have been experiencing some intense pain in my right shoulder for several months now. The pain is mostly localized to the anterior of my right deltoid. Pressing pisses it off the most, but benching also hurts to a much lesser extent. With benching and pressing the pain increases rather linearly with the weight on the bar. Warm-ups with the empty bar don't really hurt at all, but with each jump towards my work sets the pain increases. It also hurts pretty good while I am getting into position for the squat, but as I warm up the pain subsides and I am able to squat my work sets without much pain. Deadlifts, chins, barbell rows, and curls do not bother it.

The pain came on slowly over the course of about a month, getting worse every workout until it reached its current level. I have completed my NLP and currently run a four day Heavy/Light split as described in Practical Programming. I was doing pause presses on my light pressing days and I suspect they may have something to do with it as that is when the pain started. I would say I had a problem of letting my elbows flair out excessively during the eccentric part of the lift, but I've since addressed that.

My main question is what specifically is wrong with my shoulder? I have read a lot of posts here on the forum and I have not been able to figure out what exactly is going on. I need to know what is wrong before I can begin to solve the problem. I'm completely in the dark here and any help at all would be much appreciated.

Thank you

MRI?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    MRI?
    No sir I have not gotten one done. I wasn't sure if one was warranted or not. If you think that is what is needed than I will get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan_Mullins View Post
    Hello all,

I have been experiencing some intense pain in my right shoulder for several months now. The pain is mostly localized to the anterior of my right deltoid. Pressing pisses it off the most, but benching also hurts to a much lesser extent. With benching and pressing the pain increases rather linearly with the weight on the bar. Warm-ups with the empty bar don't really hurt at all, but with each jump towards my work sets the pain increases. It also hurts pretty good while I am getting into position for the squat, but as I warm up the pain subsides and I am able to squat my work sets without much pain. Deadlifts, chins, barbell rows, and curls do not bother it.

The pain came on slowly over the course of about a month, getting worse every workout until it reached its current level. I have completed my NLP and currently run a four day Heavy/Light split as described in Practical Programming. I was doing pause presses on my light pressing days and I suspect they may have something to do with it as that is when the pain started. I would say I had a problem of letting my elbows flair out excessively during the eccentric part of the lift, but I've since addressed that.

My main question is what specifically is wrong with my shoulder? I have read a lot of posts here on the forum and I have not been able to figure out what exactly is going on. I need to know what is wrong before I can begin to solve the problem. I'm completely in the dark here and any help at all would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    There are two things to consider here: 1) Rip recommended you get an MRI, but, he did this because you typed a wall of text with the question of "what specifically is wrong with my shoulder?" In order for you to know what specifically is going on with your shoulder, you need a competent physical exam, but, Rip is going to defer to MRI because that is the safe thing for him to recommend. I don't particularly think your report suggests that you need an MRI, because an MRI is really only warranted when you are a surgical case, or, you have a differential diagnosis that requires additional information due to a radically different treatment for competing diagnoses. For instance, if you have either mechanical low back pain or metastasis in your spine, those two things are going to be treated very differently.

The second thing to consider is this: you seem to readily admit that your training errors have helped cause this condition, but, instead of looking into hiring someone who deals with this type of thing, the answer is to scour random posts and try to apply someone else's situation to yours. I'd hope that you can see how this might not be the best course of action, especially with your duration of symptoms. This has been going on for several months, but, have you even contacted someone to help you with your programming or give you competent coaching? I have an old ass truck that frequently requires small amounts of maintenance. There are a lot of things that I try to repair on my own, within my own comfort level, but, when I can't figure it out (as distasteful as it is to have to spend money), I hire the services of a diesel mechanic.