starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: elbow trendonitis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default elbow trendonitis

    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have had persistent elbow tendonitis that keeps returning. I cannot do that many chinups to make the chinup protocol work.

    Is there something particular that requires this rehab protocol to be done with chins, or could I use heavy skull crushers instead ( which really casue the tendon to hurt) to achieve the same effect. Ie irritate and casue inflammation with those rather than chinups

    Thanks

    Matt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,669

    Default

    How do you think this got started? How many chins can you do? Do you have a lat machine?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do you think this got started? How many chins can you do? Do you have a lat machine?
    Not 100% sure, I have had it ages and total rest doesnt make it go. It wil die down, but as soon as I put stress through the arm it comes back. Even the pressure of wiping down a surface will aggravate it. I suspect it was initially either through a poor squat grip or from doing skull crushers some years ago. Had the squat grip corrected by an SS coach. Changed the skull crushers to the way you teach. I dont have a lat machine and I can probably do about 5 chins in one go.



    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,669

    Default

    Then do the chin-up protocol with 2 chins, 10 sets.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then do the chin-up protocol with 2 chins, 10 sets.
    Thank you.

    I have done the first session as advised 10x2 but despite the pain being slightly present at onset, the session did not make it any worse. I used a slightly outside should width grip, little fingers broadly aligned with outside of shoulder.

    Does this indicate it may not be tendonitis after all, or is it more likely that the volume is simply not high enough yet?

    I know that were I to do a set or two of lying tricep extensions I would be in all kinds of elbow pain however.............

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    What tendon do you believe you have the recurring issue in? I see the term “elbow tendinitis” thrown around all the time as essentially a garbage term to mean any pain originating around the elbow. If you have a tendinopathy, the loading scheme needs to be relatively unique depending on the tendon involved.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattjames View Post
    Thank you.

    I have done the first session as advised 10x2 but despite the pain being slightly present at onset, the session did not make it any worse. I used a slightly outside should width grip, little fingers broadly aligned with outside of shoulder.

    Does this indicate it may not be tendonitis after all, or is it more likely that the volume is simply not high enough yet?

    I know that were I to do a set or two of lying tricep extensions I would be in all kinds of elbow pain however.............
    Go to 20 sets next workout.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Go to 20 sets next workout.
    I will do this next and let you know. Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    What tendon do you believe you have the recurring issue in? I see the term “elbow tendinitis” thrown around all the time as essentially a garbage term to mean any pain originating around the elbow. If you have a tendinopathy, the loading scheme needs to be relatively unique depending on the tendon involved.
    Hi Will, Sorry I have no idea which tendon medicall. The pain isin whatever joins the foreaem to the elbow on the outerside. If I bend my arm to a right angle say to wipe down a surface this causes the discomfort and does any kind of tricep extension variant.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattjames View Post
    I will do this next and let you know. Thanks



    Hi Will, Sorry I have no idea which tendon medicall. The pain isin whatever joins the foreaem to the elbow on the outerside. If I bend my arm to a right angle say to wipe down a surface this causes the discomfort and does any kind of tricep extension variant.
    Can you go in and palpate around the radial head and then palpate the distal biceps tendon, but do them both in isolation from each other?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Can you go in and palpate around the radial head and then palpate the distal biceps tendon, but do them both in isolation from each other?
    Hi Will,

    It feels more likely to be the radial than the distal based on pictures I found showing them. There is no pain in the region of the distal. With arm bent to a right angle as though wiping a surface, the pain feels like it is in, around or under the radial. Pushing on that area when there is downward pressure causing the pain appears to lessen the pain. If that makes sense. I have done chins in greater numbers but again, they dont seem to irritate it in the way a tricep extension does

    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •