starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powerlifter Wife Hernia Repair - No Mesh?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That goes away after about 9 months. There is no satisfactory non-mesh umbilical hernia repair for a powerlifter. So she needs to either get the mesh installed or stop lifting. Sorry.

And she'll need a velcro belt to wear over the repair for about a year.
    I still have some pretty bad tugging and pain on my surgical spot six years later, just saying as an antidotal data point. And Iíd rather have the occasional sharp pain and dull ache but be able to live my life as I want, rather than to be worried about the thing getting worse unfixed.

That goes away after about 9 months. There is no satisfactory non-mesh umbilical hernia repair for a powerlifter. So she needs to either get the mesh installed or stop lifting. Sorry.

Thank you Mark. TMPHBITEU has spoken, I sent her a screenshot of your words, and now she agrees.

My Dad had a mesh repair around 1975. He was 6'3 and weighed about 150 pounds. You could always see where the mesh was; he called it "the place mat."

My wife had a mesh repair in 2005. I can feel the mesh when I rub her stomach, and there are lumpy places that stick out. Technically the mesh is holding her guts in, but the lumps are unsightly.

I have umbilical and an inguineal hernias that need treatment. If possible, I'm going for a non-mesh repair.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
    My Dad had a mesh repair around 1975. He was 6'3 and weighed about 150 pounds. You could always see where the mesh was; he called it "the place mat."

My wife had a mesh repair in 2005. I can feel the mesh when I rub her stomach, and there are lumpy places that stick out. Technically the mesh is holding her guts in, but the lumps are unsightly.

I have umbilical and an inguineal hernias that need treatment. If possible, I'm going for a non-mesh repair.
    Andy, you show as having been a member on this board for about nine months, so I assume you have some interest in strength. Are you more interested in aesthetics over function? That's your choice to make, of course - just clarifying.

Worth considering: Your father was severely underweight at those stats, which would make anything subcutaneous stand out. As for your wife, does she train?

For those acquainted with such things, how much have materials and techniques changed for mesh repairs since 1975? Since 2005?

Look up the shouldice repair for the inguinal repair. Itís been used since the Second World War and thereís plenty of info on it now.

Did you intend for this to come across the way it does? This has to just be lost in the translation from thought to text. You arenít saying here that the unsightly appearance trumps the fact that the mesh is doing what itís designed to do, right?

Yeah all the downsides of a mesh need to be compared to the downside of no mesh, which is *another fucking hernia*, which is a pretty bad deal.

Default Velcro Question

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Coach,
    I too am just learning I have a small Umbiblical to add to my list of hurtz,
    Where you mention Velcro,
    Is this another lifting belt(inferior to the prefered leather/suade)?
    or like a home depot back wrap lifting belt?

trying to plan ahead and or stick with my spring progress,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12