starting strength gym

Thread: SOLVED: Burning sensation in lower abdominals/Inguinal area

Thumbs up SOLVED: Burning sensation in lower abdominals/Inguinal area

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I encountered a problem while squatting that I couldn't find a solution to anywhere online. I've seen threads here and on other forums like Reddit from other people who have had the same issue, and the responses were all, "You have a hernia." So I wanted to make a post about my situation in hopes that anyone else who had/is having the same issue can find a potential solution.

During my squats with a weight belt, I would often feel a burning sensation in my inguinal area. I initially suspected a hernia, but the absence of a visible knot or any protrusion with coughing left me uncertain. I would take breaks of a week or two, and upon returning, the burning would disappear.

The more weight I added to the bar, the more likely I'd have burning in that area until the day the burning wasn't in my inguinal area, but directly under my weight belt from hip to hip. Instead of going home, I moved my weight belt up an inch or two, and I no longer have an issue. NOTE: This wasn't pinching from the belt - it was internal burning like the muscle fibers were being torn.

For me, the issue was the positioning of my weight belt. It was too low, creating pressure in my lower abs and [I suspect] causing some tears, possibly due to their weakness. I'm sharing my anecdote not to diagnose but to offer a potential solution.

In summary, if you have a burning sensation in your lower abs while squatting, try moving your weight belt higher on your belly. You may have a hernia, but for me, this worked.

Quote Originally Posted by n2199211 View Post
    I encountered a problem while squatting that I couldn't find a solution to anywhere online. I've seen threads here and on other forums like Reddit from other people who have had the same issue, and the responses were all, "You have a hernia." So I wanted to make a post about my situation in hopes that anyone else who had/is having the same issue can find a potential solution.

During my squats with a weight belt, I would often feel a burning sensation in my inguinal area. I initially suspected a hernia, but the absence of a visible knot or any protrusion with coughing left me uncertain. I would take breaks of a week or two, and upon returning, the burning would disappear.
    A hernia is not externally visible without an exam, unless it has strangulated, in which case you have emergency surgery.

Dear Mr. Rippetoe,

I greatly respect your contributions to strength training and fitness. Regarding your statement about hernias, I'd like to offer a friendly clarification:

Many hernias are actually visible externally without a formal medical exam. Common types like inguinal or umbilical hernias often present as noticeable bulges, particularly when standing or during activities that increase abdominal pressure.

You're absolutely correct about the urgency of strangulated hernias - those definitely require emergency intervention. However, not all visible hernias are strangulated or require immediate surgery. Many can be managed conservatively or with planned surgical repair.

That said, you make an excellent point about the importance of proper medical assessment. Some hernias may indeed be difficult to detect without a thorough examination by a healthcare professional.

Thank you for your ongoing dedication to educating people about fitness and health. It's crucial that we all encourage seeking proper medical advice for concerns like hernias.