starting strength gym

Thread: Resuming training after C7-T1 disc herniation

Default Resuming training after C7-T1 disc herniation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My husband hurt his upper back in late April. For several weeks he had to contend with excruciating pain along the path of the C8 nerve.

At his GP's request, he got an MRI from the base of the skull down to T3 in early June. Given his age of 62, nobody will be surprised to find out that the MRI revealed mild to moderate degenerative disc disease from C3 to C7. That said, the report also provided the following finding:

"At C7-T1, there is a relatively large left posterolateral disc protrusion compatible with disc herniation, measuring about 4.5 mm in AP diameter x 9 mm in transverse. The signal is hyperintense suggestive of a recent or more acute disc herniation. Severe impingement on the left anterior aspect of the thecal sac and potentially the origin of the left C8 nerve root."

That was in June. Every since, my husband's condition has improved a lot. He only experiences pain when he quickly extends his left arm (e.g. to grab something on the floor), and when he sneezes, coughs or burps (he sounds like a catch, doesn't he?). Of note, he has been on 3 X 150mg of pregabalin per day which appears to be helping with the nerve pain.

My husband has also been referred for a consult with a neurosurgeon. This being Tranada, the consult is highly unlikely to occur in the foreseeable future. Though we were willing to turn to a private imagery clinic to get the MRI done quickly, I do not think it is a good idea to seek a consult from a surgeon in private practice (of course they will recommend $urgery). I am basically hoping that this thing will be healed by the time my husband's name reaches the top of the waiting list in the public health care system.

Anyhow, I think he can resume training provided he doesn't let his massive ego wander anywhere near our power rack. Perhaps I am an uncompassionate bitch but I do not think he should wait until he is 100% pain free to resume training. He's old, shit's gonna hurt, c'est la vie.

As far as additional precautions are concerned, I just told him to ditch his SSB for the time being and use either a regular barbell or his cambered barbell to do low-bar squats so the bar sits below the lesion.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to this problem?

It sounds very reasonable. I agree with virtually all of this. The MRI findings, themselves, do not merit surgery when the condition is not causing progressive neurological deficit and the condition is improving with conservative management. I agree that a cambered bar would probably be best. Just keep upper body lifts at sets of 2 or 3 to begin with.

Thank you very much, Will. Much appreciated!