starting strength gym

Thread: Programming with all the time in the world

Default Programming with all the time in the world

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

Not that I'm one to stray from a common doctrine such as yours but I have a question since my situation is a little out of the norm.

Little back info before I get to the question.

I'm currently into a deployed location in Africa. I have access to all the weights I could ever handle, and all the food I could ever handle. I'm currently sitting on stand-by (Which basically means I do nothing but eat, sleep lift weights and play video games/watch movies/read etc).

Would the same type of programming still apply? (1 on 1 off) The only other thing I do physically is walk a few miles a day around the camp. The only reason I ask this is because I have such a large amount of free time and I figure that since I'm sleeping so much and eating so much I could get away with a larger workload. I'm currently on day #7 which is roughly the beginning of week 3 with all lifts basically going up.

Any words you have so that I can maximize the time I hear to my greatest advantage would be great.

Thanks.

Sounds like a good gig. It is possible that you could up your training volume a little, but you still have to recover between workouts. I think you'd be a good candidate for a simple modification to an every-other-day schedule, reducing the 2-day weekend break. But if you try to do more than this you'll probably get stuck sooner than you would otherwise.

Learn to play guitar.

get a girlfriend .. or two

I had a similar situation when I was being a bum in Ireland for a year. I still worked out 3x a week, but I took advantage of my copious free time by eating like a savage, taking mid-day naps, and being way too active on forums like this one. This approach lead to some pretty nifty progress which I have since failed to match now that I'm back to working like semi-respectable human being.

starting strength coach development program
    I've actually been doing every other day just because one tends to lose track of days during all the down time.