starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weightlifting & Varicose Veins.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Cardiac output, per se, is not exactly an issue with varicose veins and venous stasis disease. These problems are due to either obstruction of the veins in the legs due to a prior deep vein thrombosis, or more commonly, incompetent valves in the veins. This causes pooling of venous blood in the legs.

Legs swell in patients with congestive heart failure, a state where one has lowered cardiac ejection fraction and therefore lower cardiac output. But this swelling is fluid in the soft tissues of the feet, ankles, and lower legs, not venous stasis disease.

Anything that increases intrathoracic or intraabdominal pressure will decrease venous return to the heart, i.e. a valsalva maneuver. But that is a transient phenomenon and does not create venous stasis problems.

There are reasonable surgical treatments for varicose veins, and graded compression hose fitted by an experienced provider are often helpful for venous stasis problems.

But I'm with Rip. Simply telling a patient to not lift weights seems pretty ridiculous to me. A few moments a week of increased decreased venous return related to heavy lifting is easily trumped by good ole constant gravity.

And Rip, I would be shocked to see if anyone has done anything approaching a scientific review of venous stasis disease and lifting.

This is a fact: we tell patients to do all kinds of things that we can't prove.

starting strength coach development program
    You're a good man, Dr. Prewitt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12