starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstring Tear

Default Hamstring Tear

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,
    While sprinting on Feb. 10, I felt my hamstring "pop" and I immediately crumbled to the ground. After a sports doc. examined it, he recommended an MRI, which indicated a partial tear at the myotendinous junction of the biceps femoris with no muscle retraction (thank goodness!) I could walk gingerly that first day, but with great pain. Dark purple bruising formed several days later right under my butt cheek and has extended down into my calf. I ran across your thread on hamstring rehab from 2007 (http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/sh...hamstring+pull) and what you explained really makes sense. I began squats with the empty bar in sets of 3 x 25 on Feb. 14, in spite of extreme pain. As you described, the pain was almost intolerable at the beginning of each set, but did not worsen. It is now Feb. 21 and I have added 10 lbs. to the squats every day. Today my sets were 3 x 25 at 75 lb, 85 lb, and 95 lbs. The pain is still intense at the beginning but does not get worse. The sports doctor of course, thinks this is a bad idea and has told me to rest for now before starting pain-free range of motion exercises and physical therapy. I was hoping to get your thoughts and where to go from here and make sure that the squats are beneficial rather than hurting it. I believe in your advice 110%, and appreciate your forum. I've been training to compete in the CrossFit Games NW Qualifier in May and want to get back on the training wagon asap.
    Thanks,
    Adam

It might be useful to test a couple of other movements that hit the injury a little more directly, like deadlifts, back extensions, or RDLs, coming back to squats in a week or so. Do them every day, more if you can stand it, and keep the reps up. Push it right up to the edge, being careful to respect it. You'll be fine by May.