starting strength gym

Thread: HIIT and Strength

Default HIIT and Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it involves your book so I figured it's as good a place as any. Let me know if I'm out of line here.

I just started "Starting Strength" and am in my second week. My goal is to definitely put on lean mass and increase my strength which obviously explains why I chose your book.

I'm lifting M/W/F in the afternoons/evenings and doing BJJ/MMA classes M/F mornings and T/TH evenings. I would like to incorporate HIIT training (either hills, Concept2, or track running).

When would you recommend I do the HIIT training? Maybe Concept2 rower right after I'm done strength training? I understand that the body grows in recovery and not during work periods. In '08 I was doing MWF(resistance bands, kettlebells, bodyweight and T/TH/Sa was HIIT and that worked as far as improving my muscular endurance/some strength...but this is a whole new realm I'm entering with heavy lifting and mma training being incorporated.

What is the most efficient way I can schedule all my activities while maintaining consistent strength/mass gains?

If you're going to do intervals on the rower or hills or sprints, you can perhaps get away with this a couple of times/week, but maybe only once. You have a finite amount of recovery ability, even though it is trainable and will increase along with your strength. I'd start with once/week and see if this is tolerated before adding a second workout.