starting strength gym

Thread: Weightlifting for Powerlifting

Default Weightlifting for Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been a powerlifter for about 15 years and consider myself a very advanced strength athlete. I've totaled elite for years now and have competed at the IPF level. Last year I stopped powerlifting to give weightlifting a try. I loved it but after months of just weightlifting I feel like I got very weak. A friend recently gave me a copy of "Strong Enough" and I love your writing. My question is about programming for powerlifting AND weightlifting at the same time. I would like to compete locally in both sports (I'm also moving toward raw powerlifting) but I'm having trouble coming up with a way to combine all 6 lifts into a program. Everything I come up with on paper looks like its way too much work. I need considerable volume with weightlifting movments as I'm not very technically proficient but I also want enough work on the powerlifts to continue to get stronger.

Sorry for the long winded question. Also, If you address this topic in one of your other books please direct me there. I will gladly purchase it from you.

Thank you,

Jason

How old are you? This will have a bearing on your recovery. You're crazy as hell, btw.

Ditch the Gregorian calendar 7 day week is the first step and the lead in to a long conversation I won't go into here.

I am presently training strongman events and powerlifting and use a 12 day rotation "week" that works quite well for me.

30 Years Old...

I think it can be done but recovery is the issue. Powerlifting is my first love but I sure love the technicality of weightlifting. It sure is humbling!!

McKirdy's advice might be your deal.

pwrlftr50, have you encountered any shoulder mobility issues after long history of pl? Seems like benching hasn't really stiffened my shoulders because I can squat snatch, but I don't have over a decade of pl under my belt either. All the olympic lifters I know tell me not to bench at all because it'll fuck up my snatch but can't say at this point because I'm still a beginner in olympic lifting. Is this true, Rip? Will bench fuck up my snatch for good?

I'm in a similar situation as you are, pl by main sport and ol on the side. I found the following way to incorporate all the competition lifts in a single training week to work decently for me:

1. ol day: snatch, press, c&j
    2. pl day: squat volume, bench intensity, sumo deadlift intensity
    3. ol day: snatch, press, c&j
    4. pl day: squat int, bench vol, highpull/conventional deadlift int/goodmorning vol (every other week)
    1-2 rest days after every session, usually 1 between sessions and 2 after a training week. Gets you to 9 days training week like this.

Just my 0.05 euros (0.0638926 USD, ha).

starting strength coach development program
    Good advice. Thank you for your help.