starting strength gym

Thread: 2gomad

Default 2gomad

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I struggle with getting enough solid food in. Even with GOMAD, my calorie intake was at best around 3600kcals. I managed to gain a measly 10 pounds which I managed to lose. At 5ft 11 130 pounds, I am seriously considering working upto 2GOMAD. Has anyone you know been crazy enough to attempt this? Have I lost the plot? Will it kill me??!

Why can you not manage to eat food? Which part of the buy/cook/chew/swallow/keep down cycle is being circumvented?

Eat more meat. Eat more fat.

There are 2400 calories in a gallon of milk. Unless you've had gastric bypass surgery, you should not have any problem finding a way for get another 2500 calories in solid food.

Avocados, Olive Oil, ground beef, cheese, pork, nuts, etc.

Try harder.

I saw this question asked in another thread, in a joking manner, and you (Rip) answered it in a joking way, but I do wonder about it.

A little backround:
    33 years old
    190 lbs
    17% b.f.
    One week into the S.S. novice program as prescribed, in addition to two metcon sessions per week, and jiu-jitsu training at least twice a week.

I'm eating about 1800 calories right now, plus GOMAD, using raw milk (if I'm not mistaken, the raw milk has a bit more fat) so I'm in the area of 4300 calories a day. I have so far limited my intake to this because 1: a 33 year-old isn't as good at turning intake into muscle as a 20-year-old and 2: i've always tended to be good at getting fat, even at 20.

What I'm wondering is if you would recommend an increase in intake for someone my age, or is my body making all the muscle it can? If so, what is a rough number, calorically? Is there any advantage to adding the calories via an increase in milk intake (I honestly wouldn't mind having a bit more) versus other food, or vice versa?

I am boggled that you think that drinking two gallons of whole milk a day will be easier than eating 3000-4000 calories in addition to a single gallon. I am a skinny, weak-willed bastard, but I think I ate almost 4000 calories yesterday on only a quart of milk and no breakfast.

Seriously - I sympathize, eating is hard. But if you're eating 2500/day right now, try and do 3000/day for a week or two. Once you're adjusted go to 3500. The principle of progressive loading works for guys who don't like to eat, too.

The quote of last week was;

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
    - Jedi Master Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post

What I'm wondering is if you would recommend an increase in intake for someone my age, or is my body making all the muscle it can? If so, what is a rough number, calorically? Is there any advantage to adding the calories via an increase in milk intake (I honestly wouldn't mind having a bit more) versus other food, or vice versa?
    Are you still making progress? If so, it's enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you still making progress? If so, it's enough.
    I find your clear, simple logic compelling. Thank you.