starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift slippers

Default Deadlift slippers

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Did a search came up with nothing except a mention of someone having them.

So, video at the barbell cert of the guy dead lifting some enormous weight showed the oddest shoes. He appeared to have like Peter Pan shoes on. I am assuming they are deadlift slippers? But when I googled them the picture looked like the crap they give you to put on your feet in the hospital, terrycloth with anti slip stuff on the bottom - not like the video.

I personally need my heeled weightlifting shoes but what is the rationale for the slippers? Were video guy's shoes, fabric or leather or what? What ever they were he moved a shit ton of weight in them.

Happy note: while looking for a meet to attend somewhere that I did not have to drive and find a place to stay etc., I figured out the USAPL raw nationals were being held right here where I am. What a deal, I will be there with bells on, can't wait to watch.

Flat thin-soled shoes reduce the distance the bar has to be pulled by the thickness of the soles. But they also reduce the effectiveness of the quad contribution to the initial push off the floor. Bill Henniger at Rogue has threatened to make some shoes with a 1/2" heel, and they will be highly recommended by me when they get here.

Email sent to Bill indicating another confirmed order for the 1/2" heel when it comes out!

So the question is; which one is more beneficial? Efficient quad drive or a shorter bath path? Lifters preference maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by rtzptut View Post
    Did a search came up with nothing except a mention of someone having them.

So, video at the barbell cert of the guy dead lifting some enormous weight showed the oddest shoes. He appeared to have like Peter Pan shoes on. I am assuming they are deadlift slippers? But when I googled them the picture looked like the crap they give you to put on your feet in the hospital, terrycloth with anti slip stuff on the bottom - not like the video.

I personally need my heeled weightlifting shoes but what is the rationale for the slippers? Were video guy's shoes, fabric or leather or what? What ever they were he moved a shit ton of weight in them.

Happy note: while looking for a meet to attend somewhere that I did not have to drive and find a place to stay etc., I figured out the USAPL raw nationals were being held right here where I am. What a deal, I will be there with bells on, can't wait to watch.
    I went to a competitive powerlifting coach for a form check recently and he recommended against using my squat shoes for the deadlift. He actually had a pair of deadlift specific shoes that are shaped exactly opposite of a squat shoe and had an elevated toe and lowered heel. I know that Rip says wearing a lower heeled squat shoe is fine for deadlifting and I agree, but the guys who are doing this competitively would never wear a raised heel to compete in for the deadlift.

When you go to the meet check out the shoes they are wearing during the deadlifts. I think you will not see any raised heels.

Quote Originally Posted by AidenBloodaxe View Post
    So the question is; which one is more beneficial? Efficient quad drive or a shorter bath path? Lifters preference maybe?
    Use the shoes that work the best for you, obviously. But you have to try them both before you know.

Quote Originally Posted by KUpolo View Post
    I went to a competitive powerlifting coach for a form check recently and he recommended against using my squat shoes for the deadlift. He actually had a pair of deadlift specific shoes that are shaped exactly opposite of a squat shoe and had an elevated toe and lowered heel. I know that Rip says wearing a lower heeled squat shoe is fine for deadlifting and I agree, but the guys who are doing this competitively would never wear a raised heel to compete in for the deadlift.
    Well, you'll have to do what he says, of course. After all, I have had no competitive experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Use the shoes that work the best for you, obviously. But you have to try them both before you know.
    Yeah, I was actually experimenting with my lifting shoes(ironworks, 2.8cm heel I think) & just bare feet last workout. I did 2 heavy sets of 5, one with shoes & one without & found that the quad drive was noticeably better with the shoes, but without the shoes the 2.8cm less distance for the bar to travel seemed to make up for the dampened quad drive very equally, the two sets were as hard as each other only in very slightly different ways, for me at least. I think I'll just continue to leave my shoes on for the duration of the workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AidenBloodaxe View Post
    Yeah, I was actually experimenting with my lifting shoes(ironworks, 2.8cm heel I think) & just bare feet last workout. I did 2 heavy sets of 5, one with shoes & one without & found that the quad drive was noticeably better with the shoes, but without the shoes the 2.8cm less distance for the bar to travel seemed to make up for the dampened quad drive very equally, the two sets were as hard as each other only in very slightly different ways, for me at least. I think I'll just continue to leave my shoes on for the duration of the workout.
    Your experiment is flawed though because the first heavy set interfered with the results of the second heavy set.