starting strength gym

Thread: Pull-ups / chin-ups

Default Pull-ups / chin-ups

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings from Baghdad, Iraq everyone. I read everything I could find in the forum on this subject before posting. Basically, I suck at chin-ups and pull-ups. Im progressing nicely on my lifts (press being my worst) so that part seems to be going fine. But I can only do about 3-5 chins/pullups unassisted. This is really pissing me off so Ive started using the gravitron with enough resistance to help me bang out a few more reps. Is this ok or is it better to keep at it unassisted? I think physiology may not be on my side as I have pretty long arms.

Here is my progress on the primary lifts so far (doing the PP Novice program). Im 6'2" and weigh about 230-235 right now. These are all the poundages for my next workout(s).

Squat: 270
    Press: 125
    Bench: 205
    Deadlift: 260

(I know my DL should be higher than my squat but something happened that got them reversed, just cant remember what)

Last thing: Rip you should come to Baghad and do a seminar at our gym. Lots of crossfitters here and surely some people that have read your books.

Chris

Chins are traditionally hard for bigger guys. And the fact that your press is kinda shitty indicates that your chinning problem may help with your press problem when you get it fixed. How many days/how are you training your chins?

I'm doing them twice a week, on Mondays and Fridays. I do chins on Monday and pullups on Friday.

My friend was about your size ( I think he is 6'3/4 and was 240ish but dropped down from a chubby/overweight 300+ ). At the time I didn't know his numbers as he was just getting into WL but he worked a lot of pullup negatives to get to 7 pullups besides losing that much weight. I was surprised and a bit miffed because at the time I was around 7 pullups.

You didn't say how many sets, but if you do 3 sets to failure on both days you'll be hitting them pretty hard.

I feel your pain brother... I'm 6'2" at 245# my stats were where you are a few months ago and I was doing 3-5 chins/pulls as well. They will go up as your other stats go up so hang in there, but it will be slow going...

For me I found that hitting them HARD after every workout (M/W/F) doing 3 sets (1 each of pulls, chins, and close-grip) worked well. But my recovery is very good and I train as much for endurance as power. So I wouldn't recommend starting out that high.

I'm currently able to do 5-7 each pulls and chins and 7-10 close-grip. It's taken me several months for this seemingly small improvement though so do get too discouraged. And I know it sucks to be in the gym going 3-5 while some skinny kid just jumps in and knocks out 20+... but look at it this way, strap the extra weight onto them and see what they can do...

Mark,

Sorry,

Yes three sets to failure. Is it better to do them unassisted or use the gravitron? Also, how about that seminar here in Baghdad?

"Pretty hard" meaning "too much volume" or "training them hard which will improve them"?

Unassisted, as dealt with in another recent thread. Not coming to Baghdad. Hard meaning probably sufficient for progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Chins and pullups are hard exercises. In my opinion, probably the toughest upper body exercises there is.

I'm a fairly big guy, 6'3" 210 lbs, and had a hell of time getting decently strong on them. I even dropped them a few times out of slow progress frustration and could never seem to get past 7 reps or so.

Finally one day I decided I was gonna stick with them no matter what and am glad I did. I'm now doing 3 sets of 10, and can bang out a set of 5 with 25 lbs.

The main thing with getting stronger on them is consistency, just stick with them and over time you will improve on them. Err for slow, yet steady progress, even if you just get an extra rep that is still progress. Once you get to 10 reps or so consider adding a little weight to them.