starting strength gym

Thread: twisted ankle

Default twisted ankle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark:
    I had a small accident and twisted my ankle. Fortunately there is no fracture, but it is swollen I'm still walking with a slight limp. It's been only a few days and I'm sure I'll be back to normal very soon.
    However, I had just re-started my training using SS after an absense of over a few weeks due to personal/family reasons. So my strength is not at it's best anyway.
    What recommendations do you have for my training? I'm more concerned about squats than anything else. My ankle doesn't feel 100% stable and I squat using a squat rack (no power rack). I usually need to take a few steps back to clear the rack and I'm concerned that with my ankle not being fully healed this could be problematic or even dangerous.
    I'm not concerned with any other exercise since with the deadlifts if I lose balance all I have to do is drop the weigths and the press I do so close to the uprights on the rack that I can easily put the weights back.
    Should I use lighter weights on the squat just for safety until I'm fully healed? Should I skip the squats? Any suggestions I would appreciate. Thanks.

You should go ahead and squat. The ROM of the ankle isn't really a factor during the movement because the ankle doesn't move that much during a squat. You're right to be wary of the set-up steps out of the rack, and the primary danger is to your back if you favor the bad ankle. The asymmetric loading on the spine/hips is a factor anytime you walk out a squat, and if you favor the bad ankle and produce an unaccustomed asymmetry, there could be problems. Just be aware of the situation and walk it out paying close attention to your back and your steps.