starting strength gym

Thread: Dumbell Bench Presses

Default Dumbell Bench Presses

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I do crossfit workouts at home by myself and so far I have avoided doing any heavy bench presses for safety reasons. I considered purchasing a portable power rack, but it seems like a waste of money for just a single exercise that I won't be doing that often (I use bumpers for squatting).

I was thinking of purchasing dumbells (which I need anyway) with the money I would have used for the power rack and doing my benches that way. You mention in SS that the dumbell bench press is probably the better exercise anyway.

I appreciate any feedback of comments you have,

Regards,

Matt

"Search" function will reveal much previous discussion about this. And if you can't figure out more than one exercise for the power rack you have not read the book either.

I did search, but didn't find anything that directly addressed my question about whether db bench presses are a reasonable sub for barbell bench presses. I will look some more, and I apologize I didn't find it the first time.

I have read SS (several times actually) and I know about rack pulls, partial presses, etc., but those exercises do not come up in the Crossfit WODs that I am doing.

Matt

We have discussed this several times, really. Perhaps our search function needs to be beefed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We have discussed this several times, really. Perhaps our search function needs to be beefed up.
    Mark, I did a search on dumbbell bench press and was able to find a sufficient thread to answer the question. I did have to sift through some other unrelated threads to find it, but was still able to find it fairly quickly. Having the ability to search for "all of the words" or to search for a specific search string, for example, to search for exactly "dumbbell bench press" maybe useful and speed things up a bit (and it appears this isn't possible).

Anyways, to Matt, take a look at this thread, I think it answers all of your questions:

http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/sh...ll+bench+press

But don't skip buying a power rack. It's too useful not to have, even if you aren't barbell bench pressing.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think the search funtion needs beefing up too.

I also searched for more posts on Dumbell presses but could not find anything relevant.

Default Found it

I finally found one of the discussions that answered most of my questions:

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showth...ll+bench+press

Thanks again,

Matt

Rip- I think it's just the method that search engines in forums use.

My recommendation is to use google. I typed in "strengthmill dumbbell bench press" and I found the old threads right like that, whereas using any number of searches with the forum search tool yielded nothing about the subject that I could find.

Default google

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, google can come in quite handy. If you add the site directive in your search you can sort out irrelevant hits.

Example search: "shoes site:strengthmill.net"

Cheers