starting strength gym

Thread: Developing Body Awareness

Default Developing Body Awareness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Keeping it brief out of respect for everyone's time.

New to squatting. Read the book. Understand the book. Understand that squatting high is a capital offense. Figure a video can't help me while I'm actually squatting; only thing that can help (other than a coach, which I don't have) is having excellent awareness of where my body is at any given moment...I'm working on that.

In the meantime, I figure that, by definition, if I go as low as I possibly can, I can't possibly be high.

Question: can any ill come of squatting too low?

Relaxation comes of squatting too low, since you can't get "too low" unless you relax something. The pre-bar part of the learning is designed to fix this problem to the extent it can be without a load.

Learning to sit back and rebound off the tension in your hamstrings can be a difficult thing to learn for someone new to this stuff without a lot of body awareness.

I am convinced that along with the practice/repetition of doing the movement, this becomes easier to learn after a few weeks because you actually start to develop some hamstrings, thus making it easier to develop/feel tension in them during a squat.

I.e., I won't be able to move as great a load as I would if I kept my muscles under tension and there is such a thing as too great a rom for a squat.

Ironically, the load itself answered my question this morning. First time with a new weight and I got stuck deep in the hole. Just went past a certain point and could feel the whole thing go slack...then I'm squatting there, cheeks to floor, wondering "what the hell do I do now?"

Quote Originally Posted by BPIII View Post
    Keeping it brief out of respect for everyone's time.

New to squatting. Read the book. Understand the book. Understand that squatting high is a capital offense. Figure a video can't help me while I'm actually squatting; only thing that can help (other than a coach, which I don't have) is having excellent awareness of where my body is at any given moment...I'm working on that.

In the meantime, I figure that, by definition, if I go as low as I possibly can, I can't possibly be high.

Question: can any ill come of squatting too low?
    Videoing your lifts is no substitute for proper coaching, rest assured, but in the absence of a coach, it is absolutely indispensable to your training. While you won't be getting feedback during the midst of a set, you can at least identify problems between sets and try to remedy them. I use one for this very purpose, and because I am a vain son of a bitch who like to look at himself.

-Stacey

starting strength coach development program
    As handsome a guy as you are Stacey, I can understand.