starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cortisol

Default cortisol

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark... there is a current discussion on the Training Discussion regarding the length of a workout. Answers are between 1 hour and 2.5 hours.

I was under the impression that after about 1.5 hours of training the cortisol levels start to negate some of the benefits of that workout.

Could you (or others) explain how cortisol negatively-affects the person and what we should be doing to minimise the cortisol (if possible).

Cheers.

I am not a biochemist. If Dr. Bradford wants to post, her opinion would be relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisgod View Post
    Hi Mark... there is a current discussion on the Training Discussion regarding the length of a workout. Answers are between 1 hour and 2.5 hours.

I was under the impression that after about 1.5 hours of training the cortisol levels start to negate some of the benefits of that workout.

Could you (or others) explain how cortisol negatively-affects the person and what we should be doing to minimise the cortisol (if possible).

Cheers.
    If you're spending more than an hour in the weights room then you're making friends, not progress.

Fuck me...someone please explain to me how Mondyas TM day takes an hour??

its possible for me, when i'm struggliing, 4-5 mins in between sets really helps. so assuming you have speedy warm up sets of 5 mins total each then 3x5=15 mins plus breaks between work sets 5minsx3x5 = 45 mins = 1 hr and i havent added the pre-workout warmup (i.e stationary bike), putting and removing plates, time under the bar, laughing at the guys at the back doing curls, and staring at the hot chick in tight clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    If you're spending more than an hour in the weights room then you're making friends, not progress.
    I cannot see how can i go through a basic full body strength workout(lets say 3-4 exercises) within an hour, using long rest periods between sets. (3-6 mins)

And no, i don't make friends in the gym.

I don't about that, Smack. Early in my linear progression, I was at about an hour or a little less. I'm getting fairly close to the end now and need a lot more rest to have a good shot at the reps. I think my last workout was about 90 min. It's my understanding that it would defeat the purpose to go faster, but miss more reps.

Bullshit.

Volume days take at least 90 minutes with proper rest for me.

starting strength coach development program
    Friends with the bigger numbers in my log book maybe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast