starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in the sacrum

Question Pain in the sacrum

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach:

First, thanks for SS and this forum. It has helped this older (39) novice get under the bar safely and see some great gains in the past year.

I've been lurking for a while, and loath to post anything, since most of my questions have already been answered (repeatedly!). After a few days of searching and reading, I didn't find anything quite like my issue, and since my local coach didn't have any experience with this, I thought I'd ask you before I default to the medical weenies.

I have a previous history of an L4-L5 bulge and resulting sciatica (both sides) that has largely resolved itself through judicious application of deadlift, BE and other midline work associated with my normal exercise routine. However, in the last few several weeks I have had a nagging tightness in the tissue directly around the sacrum (really only radiates out about 2-3"). It is most tight in the a.m. (duh) and after sitting for an extended period. It makes squatting tough unless I am almost overly religious in warmup (probably acceptable), and is generally just a pain in the a@@. Rolling around on a tennis ball helps loosen it temporarily.

Aside from continuing work on flexibility, squating etc, do you have any ideas here? Thanks for your time in advance.

Greg

Aside from stretching your hamstrings violently, the best thing is a vicious massage therapist. Have you tried either of these? Or chiropractic?

I've been working on hamstring flexibility (not as religiously as I should obviously if this is the source). I will go after this more aggressively, and look into a therapist/chiro. Glad to hear it's probably not anything more seroius. Thanks again.