starting strength gym

Thread: 'Odd' Progression On Lifts

Default 'Odd' Progression On Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coach, thanks for doing these Q&As I am learning a lot.

I've been doing SS for almost 5 months. I'm 6'1" and gained 20 pounds since starting so I'm now at 220. I tested my 1RM on a couple lifts and found it pretty odd. It looked like this

Dead Lift 1RM: 365 (Altnerate grip)

Press 1RM 130. I can barely do 110x3x5

It's in line with my progress. My dead lifts have been just been going up and up since I started, it still feels like I will having good gains on this for months to come. My Press has felt like it can't go up, I was wondering why I am experiencing such nice progress on dead lift and not on press? Could it be genetics?

Anyway, it's probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. A big dead lift is quite a bit more satisfying, anyway. I was just wondering if it's common to see the heavier lifts keep going up while the smaller lifts stay small.

You haven't gained much weight in 5 months, and chances are that your programmed your presses incorrectly, without using smaller jumps. This is typically the case. IOW, you haven't done the program correctly.

This is getting old.

Yeah, kinda.

Johnny - So you've done about 30 press workouts in the past 5 months right? What weight did you start on and what were your jumps? More importantly, how has your squat progressed and have you stalled and reset?