starting strength gym

Thread: Goodmorning progression

Default Goodmorning progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am up to 3*10*225 for good mornings. What now? I would like to be able to continue loading this excellent movement progressively as it has been a key assistance exercise for me as an intermediate, but understand why it would be a good idea to avoid going much heavier. Any advice would be most welcome....

My information on this is that Pisarenko only went up to 220 x 10. GMs are an excellent assistance exercise, but you're trying to make them a lift. My back and I advise against this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My information on this is that Pisarenko only went up to 220 x 10. GMs are an excellent assistance exercise, but you're trying to make them a lift. My back and I advise against this.
    Fair enough. However, I feel both my squat and deadlift benefit greatly whenever I increase my back strength, so I guess I am curious whether there is some other, reasonably safe, way to keep driving my back strength up without needlessly flirting with injury. No is a fine answer, incidentally, but I thought I would ask. Weighted back extensions come to mind, but I do not see them being as readibly loadable. Isolating the erectors more, like seated good mornings may also be an idea.....

Rip, what would you do for progression on an assistance exercise when you've exhausted linear weight increases? (Limited as they are). I haven't seen this addressed in PPST, but I may have missed it.

Bill Starr advocated working up to 5 sets of 8 reps with the good morning, then alternating weekly between that and 4 sets of 10, when a trainee reached 225; like Rip, he did not advise going heavier than that. Hope that helps.

Just to add another reference to this though perhaps it is where Rip's info comes from also, I read one of the old Bill Starr articles that used to be up on another site where Bill recommended getting the GM up to 50% of you squat.

I wasn't quite sure, but I think he meant 50% of 1RM squat, not work sets. Also, I can't quite remember but I think Bill discussed an upper limit on this exercise as well. No sure he specified a specific one, but basically that there is not value in loading it up to the max

Sorry, going off of memory, but you get the idea I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by WRH View Post
    Rip, what would you do for progression on an assistance exercise when you've exhausted linear weight increases? (Limited as they are). I haven't seen this addressed in PPST, but I may have missed it.
    Change to another assistance exercise. There are lots of them for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LegsLegsLegs View Post
    Fair enough. However, I feel both my squat and deadlift benefit greatly whenever I increase my back strength, so I guess I am curious whether there is some other, reasonably safe, way to keep driving my back strength up without needlessly flirting with injury.
    Use the halting DL/rack pull method I talk about in the book. Starr introduced me to this after a couple of years of deadlifting, and I used it to get to 633.

starting strength coach development program
    Of course this is assuming he is doing the good mornings properly. You'd have to be pretty fucking strong to do 225 for three sets of ten the way we teach them.

Assuming they are correct, then you also have RDL's in addition to the rack pulls and haltings.