starting strength gym

Thread: squat re-adjust

Default squat re-adjust

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi mark,

I have recently had some back form issues since braking 145k on the squat. My hip drive takes over causing me to change my back angle. I've developed some bad habits that I was reluctant to admit to myself.

Currently working with a coach with a power lifting/ olympic lifting background, he has filmed my technique for me to see. He doesn't get the head and hand position you demonstrate; he is using the westside style of pushing the neck into the bar and forcing the elbows in while looking up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4HpAuQhqk

first I tried exaggerating the lift chest que, then he wanted to try looking up but it still caused my back change and reduced hip power. We then looked at the knees and in his opion they are unstable so I shoved them out more along with pointing toes out to a greater degree, This seemed to stabilize everything a bit.

your opion would would be fantastic!!

Simon

What do you want my opinion about?

sorry, I was expecting a good bit of criticism. Maybe they aren't as bad as I'm being told. The guy im working with is concerned about my ass overtaking my shoulders and he thinks this will cause me to dump the weight in a meet. I was just watching Gary's vid, he's much tighter than me out of the hole but has the same back tilt on his last reps, his knees are soild, mine arnt so much.

I'm just a bit confused with what needs to be fixed; dont want to muck-up my hip drive because the trainer isnt comfortable with my postion.

If you have a trainer, he trains you, not me. If you're not satisfied with his advice, get another trainer or try it yourself.

Right, I wasn't comfortable with his advice, I'm going it alone again. I am confused and want to get back to progression without spending months screwing about.

to me this feels right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXy2c...eature=channel

sorry for the back and forth

This is a good squat to my eye. It can be improved by increasing your rebound efficiency, which will require that you get away from the bottom safeties. They are forcing you to be careful instead of explosive.

starting strength coach development program
    thank you mark, your right he did instruct me to slow down. this is only 100k and it was a tad awkward. when i squatted 140 I just focused on knees out, sit down and drive butt, this looks a bit like Gary's max squat, and it was successful but invited the most criticism.

thanks so much, enjoying your interview with hamman!

simon