starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check Please

Default Squat Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. Thanks for taking the time to look at this post.

Below are two videos I took of my 2nd and 3rd worksets on the squat. I was only able to complete 3 out of 5 reps on each. This is the second workout in a row I have been unable to complete the prescribed reps at this weight.

I believe my recovery is fine. I am getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night and haven't been slacking on my eating. I am 6'2" @ 225-230lbs, up from ~195lbs six weeks ago. Oh, and I'm 25. All of my other lifts are progressing nicely.

The only things I can see in the videos is maybe I am descending too quickly. I think my back is set correctly but I am not sure. I have never strength trained before so my knowledge is fairly limited.

Set 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3neAAs_QN1A

Set 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnEAfmoAwSs

What is this weight, and what was the weight you last completed all the reps of?

Sorry. Weight is 220lbs. Last completed weight was 215lbs.

Hard to believe, since I see nothing terribly wrong here. I can't see the bar position, is it high-bar?

I don't think so (and I don't want it to be). The bar is definitely a few inches below my neck. And I have to keep my elbows up or it slides down my back so I think it is in the right position for a low-bar squat. It feels comfortable and locked-in where it is.

If I may offer my opinion: The bar comes too far forward on the ascent, you lose balance and have to drop it.

As soon as you feel it getting heavy on the ascent, I would recommend trying to push backwards with your chest to get the bar back in its vertical path.

starting strength coach development program
    Two things I saw.

1) You are dive bombing into the bottom of the squat. Control the weight a little bit better to keep tension and get a more fluid rebound and squat.

2) your eye balls appear to be all over the place. This is something that seems minor but makes a huge difference in your lifting. I have found that almost every time a fail it is because I lose focus during the lift. Draw a dot on the wall, put a weight out in front of you on the floor, get something you can stare at. Throughout your set KEEP YOUR EYES ON THAT TARGET!!! Pretend your life depends on you staying focused on that single spot. Doing this has helped me break through stalls before so maybe it will help you

-Robert