starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer and Getting Big

Default Beer and Getting Big

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I like to drink beer. Will this effect my performance in the gym? I have always read that booze limits your abilities in the gym. However, it has never seemed to bother me, although I have been drinking beer for as long as I have been lifting. Any thoughts?

Most competitive lifters drink. At least the ones I know. It doesn't seem to be a problem unless it's a problem.

My doctor told me, Guinness beer has fair a lot of iron in it, so I guess that may help :P

Hi rip, i read that alcohol really mess up your testosterone and increases estrogen(which explains the beer belly). And also it can messes up protein synthesis in the body. Do you think it's true or its BS? thanks.

Where do you guys read this fucking propaganda? MSNBC now has a "fitness expert"?

Beer and liquor, particularly really good bourbon, most definitely makes you stronger. And it also makes you funnier, better looking and adds at least 2 inches to your dick length for as long as the buzz lasts.

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by SamKeyworth View Post
    My doctor told me, Guinness beer has fair a lot of iron in it, so I guess that may help :P
    Your doctor needs to do his/her homework. Guinness is delicious and wonderful but only has 0.3 mg of iron per pint. The RDA for adult men is 8mg/day = 3.75% of your daily iron from 1 pint meaning you'd have to drink 26.6 pints of Guinness/day to get your daily Iron requirement.

A few words on Iron...

The good news is that if you're a healthy male you never have to worry about getting enough iron because have a ridiculously low risk of ever becoming iron deficient. Without a major hemorrhage it takes a man years of ingesting ZERO IRON to become anemic. For menstruating women, its a different story.

Dont take Iron supplementation if you're a healthy man. Especially if you eat red meat, you're getting plenty. If you dose yourself up with too much iron you get constipated but more importantly you open the door for infections. Your immune system actually squesters free iron to keep it away from the invading microbes that utilize it when they try to take over. If you overload on iron you're feeding infections.

There are a bunch of studies on this actually. Personally I'm convinced that chronic alcohol use does causes a drop in testosterone levels. At the same time I enjoy drinking too much to abstain completely.

Here is one,
    And this is a review of the literature, they cite a number of other studies..

The only potential bias that I could see is that the journal is "Alcohol Health and Research World" looking at their other articles you can see they have an anti-alcohol viewpoint. However, the articles they cite are published in proper journals.

Rip, is this one of those things where you've been convinced otherwise by your own research on the topic. Or is just that you think that the concern is overblown?

Quote Originally Posted by biggidybates View Post
    I like to drink beer. Will this effect my performance in the gym? I have always read that booze limits your abilities in the gym. However, it has never seemed to bother me, although I have been drinking beer for as long as I have been lifting. Any thoughts?
    Worth Taking a Look at:

Inhibition of muscle protein synthesis by alcohol is associated with modulation of eIF2B and eIF4E

"The body weight of the alcohol-fed rats was reduced 19% after 14 wk of feeding, compared with pair-fed control animals (427 ± 11 vs. 526 ± 12 g, respectively). The average weight gain during the experimental period was reduced by 24% in alcohol-fed rats, despite having the same caloric intake (Table 1). Estimates of body composition indicated that alcohol feeding lessened the accretion of LBM without significantly altering the amount of body fat."

Keep in mind though that these rats were essentially kept drunk for like 12 weeks.

"Blood ethanol levels determined at the time of death were 137 ± 34 mg/dl and are comparable to those observed in intoxicated human subjects"

starting strength coach development program
    Beer is a great way to hydrate while getting extra calories. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast