starting strength gym

Thread: Tall Pelvis

Default Tall Pelvis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I've always had trouble getting into the correct "hips high" position for the deadlift maintaining a tight arch in the low back. I've recently come to notice (as I thought most people were built this way) that I have a relatively tall pelvic bone. I only have about a finger's width between the bottom of my lowest rib and the top of my iliac crest. All I can find on the subject is that only males experience this and there is increased stability but decreased mobility due to having an extra vertabrae wedged between two pelvic bones and that all I can do is pay a LOT of attention to keeping loose hamstrings. I'm concerned about my position in the deadlift and the use of a belt. Do you have any advice for me?

Keep a good position. Post a video. It may actually be okay.

Here are the videos. One is with 225x5 for a warmup and the other is 275x1. I worked DL's two days prior so my back was a little fried after my squats and presses. For what it's worth, I'm coming back from a year-long hiatus following a DL injury in '08. After healing, I got lazy. Anyway, this is the third time I've done DL's since lifting again, and to be honest, I'm a little afraid of the lift now. I'm following your cues to the best of my ability, but I find it very difficult to lock my low back into extension. I really do appreciate your help and expertise.

http://vimeo.com/9567334

http://vimeo.com/9567469

(I may be wrong, but I think my hips are too high when I lower the bar and it touches the ground setting me up with a "hips-to-high" pull. Clearly the remedy would be do reset each time.)

There is nothing particularly wrong with your low back position, but you have not read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is nothing particularly wrong with your low back position, but you have not read the book.
    Actually, I have read both SS and PP. I realize there are at least three things in my post that don't meet your criteria/program. 1.) I only DL'd twice in a row so that I could post the video ASAP. I can lift the 275x5 but only lifted once because I DL'd two days prior. 2.) I used the "touch and go" because of the angled plates that change position once they touch the ground. There is no support under the bar. 3.) I see my position lowering the bar changes drastically from my position lifting the bar. I only realized this after seeing the video. If I've missed something, your advice would be greatly appreciated. I take this seriously and want to improve.

If you feel my rationale is a bit off on the "touch and go", that's fine. I'm welding together a rack and building a garage gym shortly that will remedy the angled plates, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm going to work harder on hamstring flexibility to see if I can't improve my low back mobility.