starting strength gym

Thread: Daddy Long Legs & Arms...

Default Daddy Long Legs & Arms...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am new to this workout (3rd week into the program) and forum. I have to say that this is a place for great feedback and advice.

I have been lifting for about 10 years. I am 6'5" and 240lbs. I played competitive rugby for 6 years. I always had to work myself into the starting position of 2nd row for every team I played on because of my weak looking legs. That is right, I was judged on the size of my legs. My mother-in-law even calls me chicken legs. I basically look like a keg on toothpicks. Anyway, I have long arms and legs and I feel this hinders my progress.

I actually just started squatting 3 weeks ago when I started this program. In the past I have done squats the wrong way and some leg presses, but I would say in the 10 years I have been lifting, I have only lifted legs a handful of times.

My current squat is 3X5@185. I started 3 weeks ago at 135. I feel myself progressing nicely, but 185 for a 240lb man is embarrassing! My bench, although not where I want it to be, is a little better. I am benching 3X5@255.

It really sucks to see guys in the gym with shorter legs and arms just crank out the bench press like it was no body's business. There range of motion is about half of mine. Anyway... my question is does the length of one's arms and legs determine or have an impact on how much one can lift? Is a 255lb bench for a 5'8" guy @ 240lbs with average length arms any easier than a 255lb bench for a 6'5", 240lb man with longer arms?

I keep telling myself that I can't bench/squat more than a shorter guy because of my long limbs. Is this absurd? I hate to think negatively because I know it will effect me mentally in the gym. However, it is bull shit to see someone who can't even do a freaking pull-up bench more than me because they have a shorter range of motion. I can do 15 good pull-ups no problem.

Yes, it is absurd for a guy your size to start dreaming up reasons why he can't get strong, especially after 3 weeks. Just train.

My occassional training partner is 6'4 with long arms, even for his height. He squats well over 600 and benches well over 400. He weighs 290-300 so he has filled out his frame, so he is no longer lanky. Do your squats, drink your milk, and get your bodyweight up. toothpick legs will no longer be a problem.

I'm 6'5, 252 lbs, and started off squatting with 95 lbs almost four years ago. THAT was embarrassing. Last week I squatted 320 for a set of 20. Just eat, lift, and repeat.

Also yes, I have long legs. 36 inch inseam. Just takes time.