starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pervasive Misinformation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Interesting that a football team has a shortstop.

I think that a good portion of why there are so many experts in this field, many with greatly variable programs, philosophies and products to sell, is because getting stronger and growing bigger is actually quite an easy thing to do. I've heard the analogy of, its as easy as falling out of a boat and hittig water.

Males really have no excuse NOT to grow bigger and stronger and I'm sure I do Rip no injustice here when I say that this is probably the thing that brings the bile to the tip of his throat more than anything. That instead of following through with this very easy phenomena, people instead, actively do things to sabotage their own growth; like not eating and not understanding progressive overload.

So because its so easy to get stronger the, "there see" effect can very easily be manipulated and people can indeed, as Rip points out, claim credit for the favorable genetics of athletes who would likely get stronger than their peers by just shoveling dirt 3 times a week. "There, see how much stronger your athletes will be... Jimmy here is state champion and all he uses is my dirt shoveller 3000, and I can fit you your whole weight room for $xxxx...."

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post

I don't know much about strength training, but after reading your stuff, it seems like a huge portion of the coaching community has no clue what they are talking about. Seems next to impossible for someone to even try to find a personal trainer.
    So you read one book and you're going to assume that you know how all training should be programmed? Please.

Did you read any part of my post other than that last sentence? that was not my point at all.

1.) I haven't just read SS. I've read every other article of Rip's I can' get my hands on. Many of which, I might add, cover the extent of misinformation throughout the fitness industry. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...and_Interviews

Further, I have read up on other strength programs, which prompted my question to Rip. In no way do I claim to be anywhere close to an expert on strength training. My question was posed from my own perspective, based on my experiences as a novice strength trainee and as a college athelete.

2.) My point was not so much about programming, but about technique regarding the squat, and misnomers such as "squats are bad for your knees/back", and "parallel" squats are just as good... etc. You will be hard pressed to find a personal trainer in the entire city of Charlotte (my hometown) that would recommend Rip's correct version of the squat. (perhaps with the exception of CrossFit Charlotte, but even they don't really seem to understand the anatomy behind it).

3.) Based on your post history, I assume you are a personal trainer or strength coach who's gotten their panties in a twist because of my reference to the "coaching community." If so, please untwist them. I'm sure you are a knowledgable trainer that doesn't fit into the "huge portion" I was referring to.

The problem is there are a lot of trainers out there who DON'T know their ass from their elbow, especially when it comes to teaching novices the right way to establish a foundation for ongoing strength training.

4.) Good job though on attacking a straw man. Oh, and here's a link so you can read up on what that actually is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Not sure if this has been brought up, but that the physical work requires copious energy & determination is obvious, I've found learning the damn anatomy that Rip bombards us with is just as serious a challenge. Quick, someone name the muscles involved in knee extension? What does ASIS stand for? What are the knee ligaments? What is the IT band? What's the longest muscle in the body?

I have spent too much time cursing Rip's name learning this stuff...I just wanna get big & strong!

Ha, my apologies... I mean St. Louis Cardinals. Not much of a baseball fan.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    Did you read any part of my post other than that last sentence? that was not my point at all.

1.) I haven't just read SS. I've read every other article of Rip's I can' get my hands on. Many of which, I might add, cover the extent of misinformation throughout the fitness industry. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...and_Interviews

Further, I have read up on other strength programs, which prompted my question to Rip. In no way do I claim to be anywhere close to an expert on strength training. My question was posed from my own perspective, based on my experiences as a novice strength trainee and as a college athelete.

2.) My point was not so much about programming, but about technique regarding the squat, and misnomers such as "squats are bad for your knees/back", and "parallel" squats are just as good... etc. You will be hard pressed to find a personal trainer in the entire city of Charlotte (my hometown) that would recommend Rip's correct version of the squat. (perhaps with the exception of CrossFit Charlotte, but even they don't really seem to understand the anatomy behind it).

3.) Based on your post history, I assume you are a personal trainer or strength coach who's gotten their panties in a twist because of my reference to the "coaching community." If so, please untwist them. I'm sure you are a knowledgable trainer that doesn't fit into the "huge portion" I was referring to.

The problem is there are a lot of trainers out there who DON'T know their ass from their elbow, especially when it comes to teaching novices the right way to establish a foundation for ongoing strength training.

4.) Good job though on attacking a straw man. Oh, and here's a link so you can read up on what that actually is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I actually agree with a lot of your points here. I should have continued my thought in my original reply, but I was mainly thinking about how I've learned so much in this business, but still don't know crap. However, I HAVE learned not to judge a training program at first glance. Often, there are issues shaping that program that we know nothing about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12