starting strength gym

Thread: SS Testimonial for the Old Guys

Default SS Testimonial for the Old Guys

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is one of my clients, Robert. Robert is 62 years old and 18 months removed from open heart surgery. Robert and I would both like to thank Rip for his contribution to the S&C world with the SS program. He had never lifted weights until about 3 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8td_lqprMBA

We followed the SS program for the first few weeks of training before a few modifications had to be made to suit his recuperative abilities. Here is the schedule we follow now.

Monday:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5, 1x10 (back off)

Weds:
    Squat 3x5 (Light)
    Deadlift 1 x 5
    Pull Ups 3 x 10

Friday:
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5, 1x10

Hope this encourages some of our senior readers not to give up and realize its never too late to start.

This is very cool, Andrew. I'm glad he's doing so well, and that he has a coach that makes things like this happen.

Awesome work. This is very inspiring to read. Just out of curiosity, may I ask why you added the 1x10 backoff sets after the pushing motions? Just curious about the theory behind this... obviously it's working.

Those were better than most of the deadlifts on this board. Congratulations to you and your trainee, Andy.

-Stacey

Part of doing this shit for a living requires that you sometimes give people what they want not just what they need. The upperbody stuff for sets of 10 gives him a nice upperbody pump before he leaves the gym. People like that feeling, and I like that he likes it, because it means he will pay me again next month. We don't do the pressing exercises three days per week because he can't recover enough between workouts to get anything out of it.

Dare I mention it here that we also sometimes include barbell curls at the end of his Weds. workout. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!