starting strength gym

Thread: DL Injury Rehab

Default DL Injury Rehab

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A couple of months ago I competed in a crossfit competition in Sweden. During a max Dead lift event I achieved a PR . 7 days after the competition I was performing 1 rm DL's again. At a weight just below my previous benchmark I felt a tremendous pain in my lower back. This injury ended my training session and subsequent sessions for a week or so. After about ten days of not training I started to feel better in my back. I quickly returned to my former training schedule.
    During my return to training after time off I had been experiencing some pain in the lower back in the lower lumbar area. There is also a very serious pain when I bend forward to touch my toes. In my selfish and foolish mind I continued to train through this pain for a couple weeks. I stopped training again for a couple weeks when the pain was too much. Only to return again after two weeks off this time trying to do low weight and or Body weight exercises for lower body and only heavy lifting for upper body.
    I am now at a point where I am experiencing pain in my lower back at a constant level.
    I realize I have made several mistakes. The first has to be incorrect form when performing the DL. Just not strong enough in the back to lift the weight. Looking at the photos from the competition this is fairly evident. The second mistake was lifting heavy dead lifts so soon after the competition. Not sure what I was thinking there but definitely not enough rest. The third was to continue to train after the injury. I am sure there is a fourth and maybe a fifth or sixth but I think we get the picture.
    My concerns now are simple and that is rehabilitation. I am living in Norway at the moment and I have seen a Physical Therapist , however he has zero experience with this sort of injury and is of almost no help at all. His first form of therapy was a manipulation of the vertebrae and this left me in some serious pain for several days. I would love any advice and or stories you could share with me concerning similar situations you might have witnessed before. More importantly is the Rehab. I just want to get healthy again and make sure this sort of thing never happens again. I will do what ever it takes. The ego has been checked.
    Thank you,
    Michael

Your fourth mistake was to think that heavy single deadlifts constitute deadlift training. This sounds potentially disc-like, and you'll need an MRI diagnosis. They can be healed, but it would be good to know what exactly the problem is.

Fourth mistakes is a sound judgment. There is a reason for this mistake but only a selfish and foolish one not worth mentioning. I have spoken to a therapist about possible having a disc injury , however physical tests and symptoms were inconclusive. I have not had an MRI but I will discuss this with the therapist in the future.
    I have read the thread all injury questions look here first. I have also contacted a friend by the name Ricky Frausto Jr. He runs the CrossfitOmaha in Omaha Nebraska. Considering his back ground in lifting and competition I was seeking his advice and or experience with this sort of thing. His response was enlightening. Ricky had dislocated his s1 vert. I didn't even know you could do that. He told me that you need to dead lift to get better. Starting with light weights and moving up. This seemed to relate to the thread that you have on injury questions. What are your thoughts on the steps to take to get me back to top physical condition.

It will involve deadlifts, surely. But it really depends on the severity of the injury. I cannot do this from here, over the internet, so beyond the general guidelines I have already provided, you'll just have to use your judgement and train through it as best you can.