Here's my original thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=13377

I finally got the x-ray report back on my back issues. It turns out I have early disc degeneration and narrowing at L5/S1. We're not sure the extent of the degeneration, but it's definitely irritating the sciatic nerve. It's doing this one of two ways, or a combination of the two. Either the disc is leaking it's contents and local inflammation is taking place at the site and this inflammation is irritating the nerve. Or since there is narrowing, the disc is bulging and physically pressing the nerve. Since NSAIDs seem to be very effective for the pain, there is definitely some inflammation taking place.

I didn't even bother asking my GP about weightlifting as he won't know anyway. I've been training heavy with this pain for months now with no signs of worsening.

I've been referred to an orthopaedic surgeon and I'll see what they say. He'll probably get the MRI done. I'm still looking for a knowledgeable chiropractor.

I'm not really expecting any advice (unless you have some of course), I just wanted to put this out there for those that are actually using the search function.

Thanks Rip.

Sami.