starting strength gym

Thread: Are light squats necessary on recovery day?

Default Are light squats necessary on recovery day?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I follow the advanced novice program, except I always deadlift on Wednesday. How important are the light squats on wednesday/recovery day? It seems as if Deadlifts would be sufficient to get blood flowing into the recovering muscles, but it may be that neuromuscular benefits of extra squat reps and circulatory benefits of the extra volume are important.

I ask because I have chronic knee inflammation/pain that is aggravated in the short term by squats, but seems improve in the long term. I wonder if an extra day off will help avoid the occasional critical level of inflammation that requires taking days off from training.

What happens to your knee inflammation when you skip the light day squats?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What happens to your knee inflammation when you skip the light day squats?
    It seems to be more manageable as I have less knee pain throughout the week and miss fewer workouts due to inflammation buildup.

Looking back at my log, I missed 4 of 19 lower body training days from 11/30-1/14. From 1/16-2/23 I haven't missed any lower body days and have only done light squats on 2 of 6 wednesdays(I added them again on 2/11 and 2/18 and noticed more inflammation).

I guess I've answered my own question and should just do without the light squats.

An excellent case is thus made for accurate record-keeping.