starting strength gym

Thread: Assymetry When Squatting (Favouring One Side)

Default Assymetry When Squatting (Favouring One Side)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    G'day Rip,

Due to my lack of a decent coach I film almost every set I do in the gym to watch back while I rest. A week ago, I noticed that I have a pretty obvious assymetry when squatting, where I seem to favour my right side. When I attempt to squat "left", my torso seems to centre itself at the expense of my left knee, which seems to travel both further forwards and outwards.

Here's the video from today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft826qFFf9A

I researched your replies on the matter and saw that my issue probably had to do with one knee being pushed out further than the other (which lead me to notice it in my videos) and that when this was corrected, the form would be fine.

Today, I tried to pull my left knee in while focusing on driving my right knee out further. However, at the bottom of the squat it almost feels like my left knee is being pushed out by my hip, despite my attempts at pulling it in. Also, trying to "drive my knees out" when ascending the in squat means that I probably push it out in the hole sometimes anyhow.

Do you think this could be a leg length issue? Or perhaps a difference in flexibility between one leg or the other? I will train again on Friday and will again try to focus on keeping my left knee in while keeping my right knee out. Also, for the mean time do you think I should continue to increase the weight on my squats, while trying to fix the issue? (Currently doing Starting Strength, first week). Or should I hold off for the time being and try to iron out this issue without increasing the weight?

It doesn't look like a short leg to me. Back off 20%, shove your close knee out without thinking about the other side, and see if that doesn't fix it. If it does, work it back up from there. If it doesn't, you may have to lighten up another 10% and try to focus on the hips, which is harder to do. Either way, being symmetrical in the exercise will force the strength/flexibility asymmetry to correct itself.

I am working through a slight asymetry right now. Focusing on knees out (and keeping them out) has helped me quite a bit, and thinking 'tight' seems to be useful too.

A PT did tell me that I have a very unstable ankle on one side. We didn't specifically discuss if this contributes to the squat at all - this is merely my own guess. I'm going to do a few of the exercises that he reccomended. If I have any success I will post back here or create a new thread.

Hope you get this figured out man.

How can you tell it's a strength discrepancy and not an alignment issue? My squats look similar, with my butt going left as I descent and right as I ascend. Positioning my feet assymetrically seems to resolve some of it, but I can never get rid of it completely. Weight of the bar bears no relation to how my squat looks, I always do it. I've been doing mobility drills and stretches to the point of being able to do useless stuff like splits and put my feet behind my neck to no avail.

How big of an issue is this, really? If he can't get this under control, would you recommend he stop squatting?

G'day again Rip,

Squatted yesterday afternoon, reduced the weights back by 20% to 75kg (wasn't that an ego hit!).

Here's the video from the session:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8kELbaSZgM

It looks to me like the squats are far more symmetrical, not yet perfect but a lot better. Then again, I could be wrong and my mind if just telling me they look better so that I can start putting weight back on the bar :P.

On that note, if you also think that they've improved enough to resume loading from here, should I stay conservative with my increases e.g. 2.5kg per session?

Thanks very much for your help on this mate, when I was attempting to cue myself I was focusing on my left knee and trying to "pull it in" or to twist my hips backwards as I thought the right knee was fine live and learn I guess.

I have this same problem. I've read all the other posts on this subject that I can find, and I own SS. I broke my right femur 8 years ago, and my left butt cheek is lower than my right, very noticably, and I favor the left. I've backed off weight and tried pushing out my right knee (the closer one) for 4 workouts. I think I read that the problem should be fixed in 3-4 workouts if you're doing it right. My lopsidedness hasn't changed. Should I begin trying to fix the hips? If so, how do I do that- or is it just like it sounds (push right hip down)? Or should I just keep pushing out my knee and eventually it will work out? Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

How big of an issue is this, really? If he can't get this under control, would you recommend he stop squatting?
    He'll get it under enough control. You' don't get to stop squatting because your squats aren't "perfect".

The video won't load for some reason, and I am in a time crunch here. Just work it back up with as good a symmetry as you can manage, and that will have to do.