starting strength gym

Thread: Using sets across to estimate 1RM

Default Using sets across to estimate 1RM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Obviously, an estimate of 1RM is just that: an estimate, and one's true 1RM can only be found by actually attempting it.

However, I remember reading in your books that a 10RM is about equal to 75% of 1RM and that a 20RM is about equal to 80% of 1RM. What I do not remember seeing in your books is what 3x5 roughly equates to as a percentage of 1RM.

As a fairly random guess, I figure about 80-85%; but, I'm sure you have an infinitely more educated guess based on your vast experience. I would greatly appreciate it if you could educate me.

It varies so much with the individual, as I've observed before, that it's not a useful calculation. Your 80-85% is probably close. But since I don't do or program 1RM-based training, and since I have seen many missed attempts that should have been made, I am reluctant to engage in this type of speculation.

I've never found 1RM calculators to be too useful. It depends on the lifter, the day, recovery, etc.

For example, when my deadlift 4RM was 365lbs (went for 5 and missed it) I had a PL meet coming up. Some calculator told me my projected 1RM was 396lbs, so I was really hoping to hit 400lbs at the meet. Well, my second attempt was an easy 395lbs, and my third attempt was a not-very-challenging 415lbs.

My squat and bench were also higher than expected. Moral of the story is the best way to find out a 1RM is to do it unless something prevents you (injury, fear of injury) or if it doesn't fit into your programming.

Also useful to know that estimation with these types of formulas are impossible with novices and females. I know Rip will agree, but it is not uncommon for a female athlete to bust out a set of 10 with weight not too far from a 1RM.

It has been my observation that a well trained relatively experienced male's 5RM is just a tad over 85%1RM (on the squat).

historically, my 1RM has been within +/- 1% of 87% of my 3x5 weight. but ive only tested a 1RM twice so it is not a very large body of data to draw conclusions from

starting strength coach development program
    Fair enough. Thank you for the reply.